GPS questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. GumBa11Machine

GumBa11Machine Member This Topic's Starter

I am going on a trip and I know there is one spot that i'm going to loose service. I'm wondering if the GPS in the moment uses the service or actual GPS satellites. I'm more worried about losing that then losing the navigation cause' there is one turn that we need to take.

Better safe then sorry.

Advertisement
  2. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

It uses actual GPS when it works at least. Mine wouldn't connect for me today so luckily I didn't have that far to go and I remembered the mapquest directions.

3. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

The phone recieves data from gps satellites, but the gps reciever on the moment is weak and prone to losing lock. OTH, the map data for both Telenav (sprint) and Google Nav both come over the data conection. Once you run off of the buffered map, you're out of luck. Fortunately, most places you would run out of map and have no data conection (i.e tunnels, the middle of nowhere) don't usually have a whole lot of route changes. I don't know if there is any way to store additional map data beyond buying nav software that stores all data on the sd card. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that Samsung made the Moment a piss poor and unreliable navigator and I don't trust it as my main nav unit. You can find PNA's new for $75 and much less used that are far more reliable. Use the Moment for traffic avoidance and poi's or if you have a wife with a Pre, use that as it works much better too.