GPS QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. kollarism

kollarism Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are all of the Galaxy S phones running the same basic software? If so, why does GPS not work on the Captivate but does on other Galaxy S phones such as the ones for T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and the overseas version?

Advertisement
  2. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the Vibrant (Tmo), Captivate (att) and the euro Galaxy S all have broken GPS, the ones that work (so i hear) are the Sprint and Vz versions. As the story goes, Samsung caught the error after the euro, att and Tmo versions were released so the epic and fascinate (sprint and Vzw) got working GPS. It does seem however that since they cant be extremely different and they all share the same GPS chip( I believe), it does seem to be taking a bit long to fix the damn things. I hope they slip in some added fixes/features for taking so long. Froyo would be nice, but im pretty sure that wont happen until closer to the end of the year.

Although they are simular, the firmware is not the same from one to the next. The firmwares for each version are not interchangable

3. kollarism

kollarism Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! I'm hopin Froyo comes with the GPS update also.....and ill be pissed if the Fascinate gets it before we do since it just was released. Id like to get the GPS update now and Froyo in another month or 2 if we have to wait.
    Thanks again!

4. DemonWav

DemonWav Member

The told us a while ago that we would be getting it in September, which just happens to be this month. Still got half the month to go, and we haven't heard any word on it, so I'm gonna venture a guess to say that it won't happen. But hey, you never know.

5. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member