GPS questionGeneral

Last Updated: 2011-04-19 16:57:53
  1. Red Devil

Red Devil Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that the Thunderbolt has an in-built GPS receiver, but does it have maps stored on it as well? For instance, if I go to a place where there is no 3G\4G connection (like some national parks for instance), can I still use the GPS for turn-by-turn navigation?

I have an old Garmin GPS lying around that I rarely use and I was thinking of selling it for cheap. Should I still hang on to it?

Advertisement
  2. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Google maps is not stored locally on the phone, it needs a data connection. VZ Navigator is stored on the phone. There are also 3rd party GPS apps that store all of the map data onto the phone.
  3. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

There are some apps you can get (free / paid) that will download maps for offline access. Other times, it depends on how you're areas are. When I use google navigation, it pre-caches the local area, and even when I drop coverage while driving, it still covers me, and catches up when I get signal again.

The advantage of the phone, is mostly up-to-date information, whereas you'd have to upgrade your maps on your garmin. (I use both in my car half the time)