• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AaronC

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
As I understand it the Atrix works as any other GPS device would. In other words it just has the receiver and it doesn't use mobile networks or any other data besides GPS.

My question is can I go roam about town and use my GPS without any charges from ATT.

I'm using google navigation and google earth. I assumed that if I just looked around the map a bit while connected to wi-fi it would download and store the information I need to use about town (then I could use it without any data connection). I never use the mobile data, so when I'm outside of wi-fi I have no data connection.

I could still use GPS though correct? Assuming the maps WERE indeed stored on my phone.

If it doesn't work as I assume it does (the maps aren't stored on the phone) then is there a way to ensure that they are? So I can use GPS outside of an internet connection.

Thanks very much for any replies, greatly appreciated.

The maps in Google Maps/Nav. is not stored on the phone and therefore use mobile data to download the maps to your phone. (You can test this out by turning off either mobile data or turn on airplane mode.) You can pre-cache sections of google maps to use for offline use. I'm not sure if it will pull up details of stores and such.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones