GPS running non stop after Froyo updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Lately I've noticed the GPS icon at the top of the screen even when I'm not in a GPS app. It's definitely affecting my battery life. I've rebooted the phone a few times. I used Google Maps last night, but closed it before I went to bed. This morning my battery was really low and the GPS icon was still sitting there. My wife noticed a similar occurrence of GPS running more than expected on her Droid X as well. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu Well-Known Member

Turn off the GPS. Go into the menu and just check the first and third GPS options. You really only need two on if you are using the navi option.

3. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the answer the OP is looking for. I'd find it a pain to have to be turning it off and on every time I use a location aware app.

I haven't experienced this issue with 2.2 at all. I leave my GPS turned on all the time.

If you're seeing this without a gps using app in the foreground, then you have one in the background that is turning it on from time to time.

4. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

i dont seem to have that issue at all either i leave it on all the times since i got my phone a few months ago

5. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu Well-Known Member

Location aware apps work great with only options 1 and 3 checked. I'd leave off option two at all times unless you really need it.

When you say you leave GPS on...there are actually three options. Which one do you leave on? Option 2? Satellites?

6. AJ_EVO

Ok I guess its not happening all the time. I have gps enabled now and there's no icon. Is there any way to tell what app is using it?

7. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I leave GPS and aGPS on all the time time.

8. JiggyB

JiggyB Member

Pretty new to the forums but got some help rooting my X the other night so I'm back. I've had an unrooted X on 2.1 since release day. Always had GPS and aGPS on 24/7. I could never understand people saying that the X had poor battery life because it was better than my S2. I was getting a FULL day w/ steady use. Anyway, today was my first day at work w new set up and phone was almost dead at lunch. Just like OP said, the GPS indicator is on quite often. I'm pretty sure I have all the same apps w/ all the same configurations. There is no way to know what app is causing it to run, right? It used to turn on for no more than 10 seconds at a time without an app running in the foreground. It stays on for a long time now. What program could require it to runs for minutes on end in the background?

9. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

It's the stock motorola weather app, which of course, can't be ****ing removed without rooting. I'm having the same problem since 2.2. I'm thinking about adding the widget, changing the update schedule to the longest frequency and then removing the widget, I wonder if that'll fix it?

ETA...well that was a bust, can't change the update frequency of the stock weather app. G.D.'ed bloatware. Everyday I'm closer to rooting this hotrod.

10. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out what your guys mean when you say option 1, 2 and 3... where do you find these options? Or are you refering to "Use Wireless Networks" option 1, "Use GPS Satellites" option 2 and "Enable Assisted GPS" option 3?

This is all I could come up with?

11. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Also, for those who suspect that GPS is draining your battery, have you gone into battery manager to confirm that either GPS, or a GPS app is eating your battery?

12. AJ_EVO

I fixed this by uninstalling and reinstalling Beautiful Widgets.