GPS Screen TimeoutSupport

Last Updated:

1. taris300

taris300 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey ya'll,

i finally had a chance to try the Google Maps turn by turn navigation, and i love it, but i got one problem.

To save on battery, i keep my phone display timeout to 2 minutes. The problem im running into is when the screen times out, it kills the navi and i gotta restart it....very annoying and sucks if a turn is coming up

Does anyone know a way to keep the screen from timing out while either plugged in, or in the Maps app?

Thanks ya'll

Advertisement
  2. eggsandbacon

eggsandbacon New Member

Did you ever find an answer to this.

I see you can change the time the screen times out to 30 minutes, but that is not the same way the Moto Droid worked when in Nav and being charged. It always stayed on. I could drive all day and the display would stay lit.

I wonder if that was due to the nice Moto Car Dock

Kinda annoying

3. mhtrang

mhtrang Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I set my screen timeout to be around 30 seconds, even when I use navigation. Even with the screen turned off, my phone will still give me audible directions.

While plugged in, I don't think that the screen turns off, from my experience. I will test things out some more and then update this post.

4. cheesehead007

cheesehead007 Active Member

5. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Even when I manually turn the screen off, navigation is still announced for me..?

6. shirleyr

shirleyr New Member

To keep the screen on while charging: Settings | Applications | Development | Stay Awake. If you check stay awake the screen will stay on while charging, and you can set your regular time out to whatever you want.

milnivlek likes this.
  7. hectorj84

hectorj84 Member

It seems to vary by phone. My Samsung Galaxy Indulge and my friend's Droid X does not shut off the GPS while the screen is off.

What if you're hiking through the woods using an application such as EveryTrail? You're not plugged in, you want to turn the screen off to save on battery, and you still want your GPS to maintain a fix while it is tracking your path. Is there a setting or application for that? That's my problem right now after switching to Verizon with the Samsung Stratosphere, it will lose the GPS fix as soon as the screen goes off, and it won't be smart to keep the screen always on.