GPS Sensitivity (or Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire)

Last Updated:

1. sjdean

sjdean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been having problems on my Samsung Galaxy S with its GPS.

Using GPS Test by Chartcross and other programs, I will see:

• Signal randomly fall and drop off
    • Grey bars with a strong signal satellite (+25) that the Galaxy refuses to lock onto - thought it was a power saving issue, but it'll fall to 20 for example and suddenly I'll get a lock!
    • Satellites with a strong signal that won't lock, and satellites with a weak signal that will lock

There's no logic to this at all and I don't understand.

My friends HTC Desire in comparison, shows lots of yellows and oranges on his GPS Test, suggesting that his GPS setup allows more "fringe" satellites for a better position.

It's as if the Galaxy S firmware denies android the use of lower signal satellites.

Either that or there's some switch I need to turn on, a text file to edit, something.

There's a program called GPS Status which talks about a "filter" to allow more questionnable satellites. Is there something I can program within Android for me to use the lesser signal satellites between 15 to 20 SnR?

If you want to know what I mean, here's a picture of a HTC Desire (with Orange bars) next to my Galaxy S;

Picasa Web Albums - sjdean - Shared

Cheers
    Simon

Advertisement
  2. sjdean

This whole business with the Samsung Galaxy S not using satellites with an SnR of less than 20, is this likely to be firmware or Android?

In other words, do you think there is a switch I can toggle to get the Galaxy to use these satellites?

3. UltimateCHEE

UltimateCHEE New Member

It appears that a leaked firmware update fixes this problem. There have been several reports of dramatic improvements. Supposedly the update is officially coming out at the end of the month. If you're already outside of the return date you can have quite a bit of hope, if not its a bit of a risk waiting.

Latest Galaxy S Firmware I9000XXJF5 out

Hope things work out!

4. sjdean

Aye, Im aware of that, though it still doesn't allow the phone to use satellites under an SnR of 20 unlike the HTC.

And unfortunately, speaking to Samsung myself, they suggested there will be no new firmware until FroYo is released.

Does anyone know how to speak to someone competent at Samsung?

This really is quite embarrassing. I tell them about a weak signal in GPS, they tell me how to launch Google Maps!

They're not acknowledging an issue, the retailers won't confirm an issue, no one knows when or if firmware will be released or what it will resolve, and Im stuck in the middle without a workaround.

Some people have updated the firmware but still their GPS doesn't work.

I really could have a sensor problem. Upgrading the firmware to something unofficial could be killing the warranty.

Even our Samsung Service Centres don't have any files at all, not even XXJF3, for the Galaxy S yet. Pitiful.

If only Google Maps could display a GPS Status indicator.

5. DroidIsMyFirstCell

DroidIsMyFirstCell Active Member

Is this still an issue? I'm torn between 1 of these 2 particular phones and really wanted to use the GPS for hiking/tracing running/Geocaching etc.