1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

GPS showing the wrong location

1. dazite

dazite New Member

I tried searching for the answer and couldnt find anyone having this issue. But my friends and I have the Eris and we are having problems with the GPS. And it is probably something we are not doing right. Basicly when the phone goes to sleep it loses the GPS location and reverts back to Manhattan, KS for some reason. So when you pull each other up on latitude it always shows us in Manhattan. Any ideas??? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Try turning off "use cell network" and only use GPS.
  3. MrBojenglz

MrBojenglz Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem and so is my friend with the Droid. I also couldn't find anything on it so I'm hoping it's something verizon will fix. The same thing on my ipod works perfectly so it's not Google with the problem. My eris worked fine until two days ago and I didn't change any settings so it's definitely not something on our end. Maybe the Dec 11 update will help?
  4. dazite

dazite New Member

I hope they figure something out. But the update on the 11th is just voice mail.
  5. kabbie_mcfeely

The cell network can cause this problem. Use GPS only.

It is not a Google, Android, Eris, Droid, Hero, G1 or carrier problem.
  6. dazite

dazite New Member

I guess I forgot to post that I did try that and I am still still showing up in Manhattan.
  7. kabbie_mcfeely

Are you giving it time to lock on ? t could take a few minutes the first couple of times.

Also are you outside ? GPS does not work indoors. You need a clear view of the sky for it to be accurate.
  8. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

I have problems with mine when the phones been on for some time. I know it's having issues when it takes longer than 20 seconds to get a gps fix. I've had it put me out in the middle of the Atlantic and even in the Mediterranean before. When it freaks out I reboot the device and it'll come back up and get a fix in seconds and be right on.

I'm hoping it's a software problem and not hardware. I have an issue with my compass as well. I have to recalibrate it every time I open up and application that uses it.
  9. Powercat

Powercat Member

I'm having the same problems. Seemed to work just fine until a few days ago. I also tried turning off "use cell network"...still does not work.

I think it may have to do with an update or something because it worked fine when I first purchased the phone.
  10. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member

11. micallen

micallen Well-Known Member

Kind of unrelated, but I had a Samsung Omnia last year. I had travelled to Rock Hill, SC and stopped to eat. While we were eating, I looked at the GPS (Google Maps) and it showed us near Romania !!. I refreshed, rebooted - it didn't matter. It wasn't until we started moving again that it corrected itself.
  12. ckehrig

ckehrig Member

Ya mine seems to tag pictures with Russia instead of Canada
  13. roiding

roiding New Member

Try going into Google Maps -> Settings -> Clear Cache

Then restart your phone and you should be good.
  14. dtan58

dtan58 New Member

My Phone Says Im In China I use google Earth
  15. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Yeh, my phone says I'm in China as well.