GPS Signal

Last Updated:

1. balmans

balmans New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,
    I have observed with my HTC Hero that it needs phone coverage for the GPS to work. For applications like the GPS tracker and my position they did not work in places where there was no phone coverage. Could some one please let me know whether this is the case or do I need to change my settings for the GPS to work independently of Phone coverage. Many thanks in advance....

Advertisement
  2. harlequin1963

harlequin1963 Member

Airplane mode , so no wifi / bluetooth / phone = GPS Status works.

as does mapdroyd

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

GPS does not need phone coverage to work. But it does need a good signal from several satellites (GPS tends to not work indoors, although sometimes it will due to excessive building flimsyness or your proximity to a window).

If you havent got a good GPS signal then the phone will triangulate (very innacurately) based on your mobile network - obviously if your mobile is switched off then this wont work. Maybe this is what's happening to you?

Try downloading the 'GPS status' app from the market. This will show you what satellites are visible to your phone.

4. balmans

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have the GPS tracker application, I will try switching the mobile data connection on and off and check in which mode the GPS works and keep you all posted...

5. capuman

capuman Well-Known Member

go to settings/location/ and make sure 'use wireless networks' is set to off, this way you will only use GPS and not your network.

Bear in mind, that without network coverage you wont be able to download the maps in google maps etc..

6. balmans

Thanks Capuman,
    I did my little test to find that GPS signal is independent of network which is all good,so th plausible explanation could be that the phone's GPS was not picking up the sattelite while I was in a valley despite the day being very bright and not cloudy...

7. PygmyArr

PygmyArr Member

haven't got a android phone just yet (looking ot get a hero in next week or so) but my SE used to use a-gps which would work out my rough area by triangulating with network antennae then, a minute or so later get a actual gps fix on my position,

maybe it was doing this...?