GPS slow to find me when 1st turned onSupport

Last Updated:

1. joeymogul

joeymogul Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello All,

My GPS takes about 5 minutes to first find me when I turn it on and load up Navigation or Google maps. I have assisted location with cell towers enabled at all times. Does anyone else's GPS take so long to find you?

This is a 2nd Ally and was slow on Stock ROM as well as the V2 I'm currently running.

Advertisement
  2. dots

dots Well-Known Member

GPS also takes atleast 5 minutes to find my location. But i am running the custom rom Velocity v0.3 atm so maybe it's not a rom thing but a google thing.

3. cdman2008

cdman2008 Member

ya i think its just an android thing, i know 4 or 5 people and they have the same issue with different phones. when i had my iphone it found me almost instantly. but with my ally it takes anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. its a little bit faster ever since i got the update. sometimes it still says gps unavailable, but its alot more rare now since the update/

4. joeymogul

Well, your times are much better than mine. How can I get that update on V.2?

Is it possible?

5. joeymogul

I got it. I ran the update posted on the V.3 post. Didn't change the version number but now GPS finds me in 30 seconds. Big difference

Scratch that. Mustve gotten lucky during earlier testing. Still takes 5 minutes

6. Math-Uhhh-Saurus

Math-Uhhh-Saurus Well-Known Member

It takes forever for me too (Velocity .2). I wish I had my Tom Tom back. It was much easier to use :[

7. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

It may take a long time.... but boy howdy it sure is alot more accurate than my Garmin. Easier to find stuff to with the voice capabilities.

8. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member

Do you guys keep GPS antenna off and turns it on before using Google map/navigation? Then it could take a while before locating your position. I noticed that if I turn on the GPS antenna way before using map, it finds me faster.

9. joeymogul

We don't really want to leave it on. Basically, I enable the GPS when I'm immediately in need of setting up navigation. To avoid traffic or find a route somewhere. That five minutes from the moment I click Enable GPS to Navigation finding me is bad

10. bjones6416

bjones6416 Active Member

It may be a little early for me to jump up and down with joy, but I downloaded GPS Booster from the market earlier this morning, and so far (fingers crossed) my GPS locks in within a minute! I've turned the GPS on and off, I've turned the phone on and off, I've accessed GPS through Navigation and through GPS Test, and so far, so good. Yesterday afternoon it took about 10 minutes for my GPS to lock, and I didn't need it by that time, so I'm hoping this continues to work for me. (I had tried every other suggestion that I found here with no luck.) I should mention that I get a little popup sometimes that says "GPS Booster failed," but it doesn't seem to be actually failing. I read a comment from another user that he was getting that popup too but the app didn't seem to be failing. Is anybody else using this?

11. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

Takes me a good 5 minutes too. I'm going to try your solution and see if it helps.

EDIT: Hmmm GPS Booster is not showing up in the Market now.

12. bjones6416

bjones6416 Active Member

I just checked, and it's there, but has a strange filename in the market:

pname.com.octy.gps.booster

Try searching for that. I got there by scanning the QR code off a webpage, but I don't remember the url. You might be able to find it, though.

Edit: Found the webpage with the QR code:

GPS Booster (Android) - Download

It is still working, btw, and working well. It's been 24 hours and I keep finding excuses to test it. :p

13. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

I already tried that - when I do so, the Market Search comes up with "There are no matches in Android Market for the search: pname:com.octy.gps.booster.

It really isn't there.

I'm using something called FasterFix which appears to do the same thing and was free.