GPS Still on?General

Last Updated:

1. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife is still running 1.5 on her Eris. On top of the screen in the notification bar, the GPS symbol is lit up (flashing green bars and all). I've gone into Settings>Location and the GPS option is unchecked. I've run task manager and there is nothing running that uses the GPS.

I just opened Google Maps, thinking that was causing the problem, but it isn't even using the gps, it is showing our location as the nearest tower location. So it's as though gps isn't on, but the little symbol won't go away. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

just turn gps off. find a gps toggle and shut it off

3. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Have you tried restarting?

4. J.R.

Yup, did that a while ago. Added the GPS toggle to the home screen. It is off. Still have the symbol.

5. J.R.

And yes, when I restart it, it will go away, but as soon as she uses something that uses the GPS, like Google Maps, it is back and won't go away.

6. andrizoid

thats....odd
    must be some kind of bug. are you sure its the gps icon and not the other location icon?

7. jlrosell

jlrosell Well-Known Member

I actually have the same problem. I use it for CardioTrainer, and then when I turn it off, the icon stays until I restart the phone.
    Kind of annoying.

8. J.R.

Yeah, the other location icon is the target looking symbol, right? I just restarted it again and it went away. Ran a bunch of gps programs and it comes on, but goes off again after I close them. Guess when I asked the wife if restarting fixed the problem, and she said, "NO," I probably should have not believed her.

9. andrizoid

ya. hmm... is the gps is running or is it just the icon?
    is it draining battery?

10. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

Ya, my wifes was doing this a week ago. GPS was turned off and I could not get it to turn off. I shut it down and haven't had the problem since.

I would suggest turning on and then off airplane mode. That might fix it without having to power off. If not then pull the battery.

Also, has any new apps been installed recently? Might want to uninstall and see if that helps.

11. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

i have the same stinkin problem. I tried airplane mode, but even then the GPS icon continued to flash the green bars. I have a feeling its contributing to draining my battery.

I cant figure out what the heck might be using GPS. Shutting it off is a temporary fix.

Is there any app that monitors what uses GPS?
    How could it stay on with GPS off?

UUGGHHHH!