GPS Stopped working on Hero

Last Updated:

1. zachp4

zachp4 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have had the Sprint Hero since it was released and have weathered the common bugs (battery, apps losing their names/logos and not working after restarting the phone, etc)

I have a new one now that I cant seem to fix. GPS was working fine in all my applications (google maps, Nav, Sherpa, Layar etc). I leave GPS on as it is only ever used when an app requires your location.

Now with GPS on if I run google maps or any other application the little GPS icon shows up in the header but after 30 seconds or so the application says your location cannot be found.

I have tried numerous time inside and out and nothing. I can turn on network location and get the cell tower triangulation of my location but thats not true GPS.

I have not soft or hard reset but afraid im going to have to.....how does that work? Assuming hard i lose everything....do i keep my apps and home screens with a soft reset?

Advertisement
  2. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member

Hiya Zach ---- hey, here is something to try to verify if your Hero is actually developing a GPS fix or not.

Go to the MARKET and download and install the GPS Status application.

Once it is installed, make sure all your options in your LOCATION menu are turned on to allow GPS to function. Once you have done that, turn on the GPS Status app. You should get a compass rose and the program should provide GPS coordinates and other information about your position.

Make sure too you have a good constellation as shown under the compass rose in the app screen (at least four good strong GPS satellite signals to lock on) --- This will tell you if your Hero is generating fix information or not.

If it is not, you will not see any position information (latitude and longitude and altitude, etc) on the lower part of the app screen.

Good Luck --- :);)

3. jiltedcitizen

jiltedcitizen Member

I've had the same issue. Shutting down the phone does fix it. But then again that screws up a ton of apps...That is the annoying part. I did use the HTC widgets to turn on and off the GPS. I think that worked.

4. weirdia

weirdia New Member

I get this problem as well. A soft reset (turn power off and back on with the red button) will get the GPS working again. What's the talk of soft reset screwing up applications? I haven't seen that.

After the GPS stopped on my phone a second time, I brought it back to the Sprint Store and they swapped it out for a new one. The new one started doing the same thing, so I'll live with it for now. If I want to use TeleNav for driving, I'll just reboot the phone first. Fortunately it seems like a software glitch, so it may get fixed with an upgrade.

I have had no other trouble with the Hero, except Treo withdrawal the first day or two. I now like this thing a lot. On screen typing gets me cussing sometimes, but I like the high-quality one-piece design.

5. zachp4

zachp4 New Member This Topic's Starter

I am still seeing this problem sporadically. I was just about to take it back to the store and then it started working and worked fine for a few days....not its back to either not finding any sort of GPS fix or saying i am in a completely different state. Sometime even country! haha

restarting the phone seems to be hit or miss with fixing GPS but definitely messes up all my apps which is a huge pain.

Anyone else figure out a solution?

6. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

same problem here. soft reset does fix it but a pain the have to reinstall 4 apps each time. and im usually missed my exit by 2 miles by the time the phone restarts.

7. chlywly

chlywly New Member

I have been busting my brain trying to figure out how to get mine to work (it worked for a while when I first got the phone) but now doesn't work at all.. google maps keeps saying 'failed to find location'

If I use GPS status up, the compass and coordinates show up, but if I use another GPS map (the one which tells you how strong your signal is, it doesn't seem to find a signal)

Anyway, I've tried Soft/Hard reset, turn off turn on, tried switching GPS on/off, wireless triangulation On/Off

NOTHING is working :( :(

I have a TELUS HTC HERO

8. knotten

knotten New Member

I solved this problem this way: Downloaded the GPS Status app (see above), and saw that my phone discovered 5 satellites, but did not fix. (4 sats should be enough).
    It took a long time to discover those 5 sats.
    Then I found this: TELUS HERO GPS/AGPS fix may take longer (or may not work) if phone is powered ON in WiFi. - HTC Hero (TELUS) - Android Forums - HTC Community , and voila, problem solved.
    Mobile network has to be ON (and WiFi on might disturb). Had to restart GPS Status before it fixed. Became very fast in discovering satellites then.

9. bubbles7361

bubbles7361 Active Member

I have this same issue all the time. I will have to try this out. Thanks for the tip.

10. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

yea my gps is guaranteed to not find the location the first 2 or 3 3 times, I thought it was a sprint issue, cause it did the same thing on the palm pre I had before.

11. maxsteele

maxsteele Active Member

I had this issue last night. I was considering taking the phone back and getting another one when I thought about turning off / on the phone.

When I did this, the GPS started finding satellites again.

I had the Mobile Network on along with the GPS on. I had Wifi off.

12. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

I hardly ever use wifi so I dont know if that affects anything

13. insect0

insect0 New Member

Old old thread, but found many asking this question on the web and dropping my 2cents regarding a solution that worked for me:

The fix:
    Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network Operators -> Search Networks -> CHANGE to a different network provider.