• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS stopped working....

hookem

Android Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2009
TEXAS - Liberty Hill
My GPS quit working yesterday in Ruidoso, NM. Was working great all weekend, even in the mountains. Yesterday morning, it refused to find my location. Rebooted several times (didn't remove battery-should have) but it never kicked in. Turned GPS off, but kept turning it on periodically just to check it on the drive back to Austin.

When we got home, I checked it one more time and it was working?!?!? I'm very glad it's working, but just wonder why it stopped? I really missed it!

My GPS quit working yesterday in Ruidoso, NM. Was working great all weekend, even in the mountains. Yesterday morning, it refused to find my location. Rebooted several times (didn't remove battery-should have) but it never kicked in. Turned GPS off, but kept turning it on periodically just to check it on the drive back to Austin.

When we got home, I checked it one more time and it was working?!?!? I'm very glad it's working, but just wonder why it stopped? I really missed it!

There's a couple of threads going about the GPS working incorrectly right now. I'm thinking there's just a problem with it right now, and hopefully we'll see it resolved soon. Mine stopped working for a tiny bit last night (no more than 20 minutes), and I didn't move from my chair. However, it has lately put me on Easter Island or Seattle, and has been pretty steadily putting me 1.1 miles from where I live. I'm going to check it again today while I'm out, and stop by and ask at Verizon if it's a network problem, google problem, or phone problem, and I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Upvote 0
Yeah I read some of the other threads, but they were either international issues or GPS showing wrong locations. Mine just stopped working.
I was going to stop by a Verizon store today. But I'll just leave it until it happens again. Hopefully it won't.
Thanks for the reply.

No problem. I know yours was a little different, but was thinking that it's just one big problem since there's a few different problems going on? **shrugs** I just hope they get this figured out. I am babysitting and would have loved to have it working this morning to find the kid's daycare to drop him off! But with it being wonky lately, I just relied on the 4 year old's sense of direction and what I remembered (and, btw, the 4 year old got it exactly right :eek:, he knew better than a GPS where he was going, lol).

My fingers are crossed it stays working! :)

Upvote 0
Did you have cell service in that area?

The reason I ask is that I believe I read in one of those threads that you needed both cell service and GPS sats in order for it to work. So if you only had one (the GPS) and not the other it would not work.

Yes, 3G with full bars.

I have also used a GPS speedometer app in airplane mode before and it worked just fine.

I just did this: Open google maps with GPS -> turn on airplane mode -> switch GPS on -> reopen google maps (will open last map) and GPS will locate and track. Without cell service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones