GPS takes ages to locate me.

Last Updated:

1. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have co-pilot8 which is pretty ok but GPS takes ages to find my starting position(sometimes 30 minutes with clouds), is there any program that can help my phone locate me quickly so co-pilot8 can do his job?

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

silly question, but where is your phone when your using it? does it have good line of sight to the sky and gps satelites, or is it using apgs to locate you using the mobile phone network masts?

3. loveandroid

In the car holder. I know it is worst with clouds but is there anything on the market that can boost GPS signal or help it.

4. CarsnGadgets

you can get external gps antennas for your car, but dont know how it would work with the phone.

my desire sits in a screen mounted holder and get the gps signal within 2-3 minutes of turning it on. 30 mins seems a long time, is your gps turned on before you try to navigate, or are you relying on the navigation program turning it on? have you tried it with just googlemaps navigation, its free and would at least tell you if its the software maybe.

5. loveandroid

30 min with clouds, 2-3 min its also a long time when you have clear sky,must i say...

6. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

I use CoPilot. It prompts you to turn on GPS if its off. My Desire sits in a mount in front of the air vents in the car. I generally get a lock within 10 - 15 seconds. Even sitting on the window ledge inside the house it only takes 30 seconds or so.

If I were you'd I'd get it replaced.

7. CarsnGadgets

2-3 mins is the longest it takes, normally i have a lock before i start the ignition.

8. craggybuk

craggybuk Well-Known Member

I don't know the technicalities but certain car windscreens contain a material which certainly used to make it difficult to get a GPS signal from within the car. This was a problem with early TomTom devices and may still be an issue now.

9. loveandroid

Not a window issue since when I go running( using runKeeper) it also takes a bit of time.

10. craggybuk

craggybuk Well-Known Member

I find it is best to stay still and let the phone pick up a GPS signal. While moving you will still get a signal but it may take a bit longer for the satelites to lock in. 2-3 mins does seem a long time though.