GPS takes forever to find location. Assisted GPS?

Last Updated:

1. mmoser

mmoser Active Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 28, 2010
    When using position based apps on my new Desire (Android 2.1) I can't help but notice that finding the location always takes forever (>1 minute after switching GPS on).

My old HTC HD (Windows Mobile 6.1) was much quicker in providing a location after switching on GPS. The trick was, that the HTC HD had a pre-installed application "QuickGPS" that regularly downloaded some data that apparently helped in locating the satellites and/or calculating the position. On my old device I thus had a valid position typically in less than 10 seconds after switching GPS on.

I haven't found any similar utility for Android and I don't want to have GPS active all the time for battery reasons. Are there any similar tools or other "tricks" that can help the GPS subsystem to provide the location quicker?

2. t0Msha

t0Msha Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    it's much easier than using an app - in settings/location just check "use wireless networks" box - that's that assisted gps you are talking about, which determines location based on cell tower. of course you can create shortcut so you don't have to go to settings every time or just leave cell location always on and turn gps on when needed.
  3. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I agree with tOMsha it only take about 10 seconds for me to get a fix in my 307 with a treated windscreen as it uses your cell tower for an approximate fix first and then full GPS fix follows shortly after. (my dedicated tomtom can take 10 minutes). I just leave GPS\AGPS activated all the time its only used when apps need it so doesn'y have too much of a hit on battery life.