GPS tether to tablet

1. lordfly911

lordfly911 Well-Known Member

Since the GPS sucks on the captivate I usually use an external Bluetooth GPS device for navigation and other needs that requires very accurate values when in motion. Now I have an Acer Iconia A200 with a remarkable GPS. I would like to use it if possible. Any ideas on how to tether it to the phone for this purpose?

Advertisement
    :
  2. neilfries

neilfries Active Member

Are you rooted? I have an app called wireless tether for root users. It allows you to set up a hotspot and only allow access to the devices that you want (with the correct settings). Another plus is that I know some phone companies are a little picky about doing this, but I haven't seen anything on my phone bill to show that they even know I have been tethering.
  3. lordfly911

I am rooted but this is not about hotspots. Please reread my question. I want to use the tablet as a Bluetooth GPS device.

I know this can be done and I have seen some evidence through some reading while searching. However everything is very vague and the one app I did see had no real instructions and seemed to be so messed up it did not meet NMEA specs.

It would seem so easy to redirect GPS data through a Bluetooth port that I cannot believe this is so hard to find out about.
  4. neilfries

neilfries Active Member

5. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

You can't. The phones are not made to send those info to each other. You have to use a app that will bridge the two using bluetooth.

Here's another app that might do the trick but it's 10min/trial unless you buy it.

http://www.meowsbox.com/btgps/
  6. lordfly911

Silvertag - that might be the ticket. I will check it out and let you know.
  7. lordfly911

After some trials with the different BT GPS apps this is what I have found to work:

On tablet, GPS over BT by Vasiliy Saenko

On Captivate, Bluetooth GPS by Googoo Android

The only anomaly I am seeing is the speed being reported between my regular BT GPS receiver and the tablet connected through Bluetooth GPS. One was a little high and the other a little low. I still have to do some more testing, but at least I know this is possible. My standalone receiver is the GlobalSat BT-359. It fits in my pocket and is extremely accurate.

From this experience I find the tablet a good replacement when I do not have my receiver with me, but I still like my small receiver.