GPS tether to tablet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lordfly911, Jun 1, 2012.

1. lordfly911

lordfly911 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Since the GPS sucks on the captivate I usually use an external Bluetooth GPS device for navigation and other needs that requires very accurate values when in motion. Now I have an Acer Iconia A200 with a remarkable GPS. I would like to use it if possible. Any ideas on how to tether it to the phone for this purpose?

Advertisement

2. neilfries

neilfries Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Male
    Electrician
    Canada
    Are you rooted? I have an app called wireless tether for root users. It allows you to set up a hotspot and only allow access to the devices that you want (with the correct settings). Another plus is that I know some phone companies are a little picky about doing this, but I haven't seen anything on my phone bill to show that they even know I have been tethering.

3. lordfly911

Jul 22, 2010
    I am rooted but this is not about hotspots. Please reread my question. I want to use the tablet as a Bluetooth GPS device.

I know this can be done and I have seen some evidence through some reading while searching. However everything is very vague and the one app I did see had no real instructions and seemed to be so messed up it did not meet NMEA specs.

It would seem so easy to redirect GPS data through a Bluetooth port that I cannot believe this is so hard to find out about.

4. neilfries

neilfries Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Male
    Electrician
    Canada
  5. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Montreal
    You can't. The phones are not made to send those info to each other. You have to use a app that will bridge the two using bluetooth.

Here's another app that might do the trick but it's 10min/trial unless you buy it.

http://www.meowsbox.com/btgps/

6. lordfly911

Jul 22, 2010
    Silvertag - that might be the ticket. I will check it out and let you know.

7. lordfly911

Jul 22, 2010
    After some trials with the different BT GPS apps this is what I have found to work:

On tablet, GPS over BT by Vasiliy Saenko

On Captivate, Bluetooth GPS by Googoo Android

The only anomaly I am seeing is the speed being reported between my regular BT GPS receiver and the tablet connected through Bluetooth GPS. One was a little high and the other a little low. I still have to do some more testing, but at least I know this is possible. My standalone receiver is the GlobalSat BT-359. It fits in my pocket and is extremely accurate.

From this experience I find the tablet a good replacement when I do not have my receiver with me, but I still like my small receiver.