• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS tracker app

DrPips

Lurker
Jul 5, 2014
Hi All,

I'm looking to use an old HTC phone as a GPS tracker. It will have a PAYG SIM in. Basically I want to use it to track groups of students who are walking unsupervised and be able to find them in case of getting lost. I've tried a couple of dedicated GPS tracker gadgets but they are very unreliable and very difficult to set up etc.

I don't want it to be a real time tracker as this will drain battery life very quickly. All I want is to request a GPS location (by calling or texting the phone) and get a coordinate back.

Does anyone know of an app that can do this?

Thanks,

Dom

Hi All,

I'm looking to use an old HTC phone as a GPS tracker. It will have a PAYG SIM in. Basically I want to use it to track groups of students who are walking unsupervised and be able to find them in case of getting lost. I've tried a couple of dedicated GPS tracker gadgets but they are very unreliable and very difficult to set up etc.

I don't want it to be a real time tracker as this will drain battery life very quickly. All I want is to request a GPS location (by calling or texting the phone) and get a coordinate back.

Does anyone know of an app that can do this?

Thanks,

Dom

Hi,

You can also try Location tracker.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones