• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS usage and cost!

renegadeandy

Jun 6, 2009
Hey guys.

Just got my wonderful magic with my girlfriend, 24 month tarrif 600 mins unlimited text - unlimited web (500mb) of course - both of us exactly the same.

Now, does the GPS usage i.e the google map locate me functionality and any other GPS functionality on the phone cost me money per month if I use it, or is this something which is always free?

Thanks

Andy

GPS is definately free (work for voda). The easiest way to think about a blackberry is that it comes witha license due to using blackberry's services as well as the networks.
The HTC Magic now has to come with Internet included, this may include paying extra on the tariff but it can not be sold without. Therefore if the same 600+ul txt is avail for

Upvote 0
It depends on your carrier and location. I've never been charged using AT&T in the US

As a developer, I know we can choose to only use gps providers that are free of cost. Some apps may ignore this "Criteria API", and use a provider that may charge money.

Some apps you're safe with regardless

GPS is free. The provider is the US Air Force 50th space wing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones