GPS usage makes 3G connection stop

Last Updated:

1. Papex

Papex Active Member This Topic's Starter

Whenever I start to use my GPS (not just switching it on but actually use it) for instance using google maps and navigation, it seems to kill my 3G connection.

I can still see the icon for connection however but it stalls completely. I have to switch GPS off, then force wi-fi on, then switch wi-fi off again to establish 3G connection again.

This means that I can't use my GPS at all whenever I'm off wi-fi and want to use 3G. This is absolutely not OK.

I've just started with this Android business, choosing this over iPhone. Please help me not to regret my choice.

Any Ideas?

I'm on an unbranded and unlocked desire.

Advertisement
  2. Papex

Anyone?

3. Papex

Not that anyone seems to care anyway :rolleyes: I thought that would post the solution I finally found.

Root cause: several APN's.
    For some reason the Desire (and Nexus one, I'm told (perhaps it's a general Android issue)) stalls the network connection when GPS is used.

Work around: Delete other APN's than the one actually used by your service provider.
    However: In my case I was unable to get into my APN settings. I had an error message whenever I tried to enter the settings. So I had to restore factory settings.
    Now it all works. :)