GPS Usage/Tracking for charitySupport

Last Updated:

1. dorsetsav

dorsetsav Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys and gals,
    I really love this forum and the advice hints and tips that can be found for me as a relatively inexperienced android addict are great.

So far I am running a stock desire with LP as I find it more customisable than the sense software. I am on o2 in the uk so am still eagerly waiting the Froyo update, whilst resisting the urge to root the phone and customise it further. According to my good lady wife I spend far too much time playing with my phone as it is!?!

Anyway I am trying to get to the bottom of a query. At the moment I am in training for a charity Trek along the great wall of China in aid of our local hospice and as part of my training I am using the

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

You are correct, not sure if gps works still in airplane mode.
    my advice is turn off mobile data then go to settings/location & untick use wireless networks.
    GPS works all over the world.

3. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

GPS does work in airplane mode,i checked,the question is does mytracks require an internet connection to to load up maps? because google maps obviously does so it will find your current location but cant load up the map??

dorsetsav likes this.
  4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I got round that problem on my old lg renoir by using we travel, the maps are all stored on your sd card.
    We travel only needs a java capable phone to work, so in theory it should work on the desire.

dorsetsav likes this.
  5. dorsetsav

dorsetsav Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info, very helpful as always.

I am not so worried about the maps being available aslong as i can record the gps data in theory i can transpose onto a map at a later date if i was that worried.

Good way of proving to my sponsors that i did actually go to China and walk the wall rather than just took the week off from work!!!!

Thanks again.