• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS-using apps quitting

rschalie

Lurker
May 26, 2014
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll find out if not. Anyway...

Since about a week most of my GPS using apps quit (mostly) directly after starting. Think Runkeeper, Runtastic, MyAsics. TomTom Go starts, displays the map, zooms, displays traffic info, but quits after using the menu button.
Other apps like Waze, Google maps, Mapfactor Navigator, Locus, GPS Status show no problem.

I'm stumped. It looks like it's somehow GPS related, but not consistently.

Anyone recognize this (or even better, have a solution)?

T.i.a.

Do they quit while they are in the background? If so, check your memory /running services. Also developer options / process stats.

I have long had an intermittent/occasional problem with navfree and Google mytracks closing and stopping their tracking unexpectedly when I put another app into the foreground. No problem with other gps apps. In my case, It was related to android memory management. I fixed it by using xposed module (Needs root) "app settings" and assigning these apps as "always resident". As a result, I also have to manually kill these apps when I'm done, otherwise they remain running services (cached would be ok, but running services memory is different).

Your symptom is not exactly the same. Do these apps ever stop tracking unexpectedly when you outer them in the background (example, by pressing home and lAunching another app)

Let us know if your symptoms are similar... There are other options even without root

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, they quit directly after starting them (with the notable exception of TomTom Go, which only quits after clicking on the menu button). Just installed Endomondo running app. That seems to work OK.
The apps worked fine until last week (a week ago I recorded a run with Runkeeper just fine), although TomTom Go started failing one week earlier . Can't remember having done anything that might result in this behaviour. The weird thing is that it apparently only affects certain apps.
xposed won't fly; I'm running Lollipop, and xposed won't run on the S5 with Lollipop (had it running on Kitkat).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones