• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS warkaround doesn't work in Froyo?

hydralisk

Sep 23, 2010
Philleh
The old method of fixing the GPS seems to be missing from the Froyo build I have. I used the update.zip method to go from 2.1 to 2.2. Everything seems to be pretty smooth... but now my GPS will take 40 minutes to lock on unless I reboot my phone.

I used a workaround I found on this forum to fix it. You dial *#1472365# and that brings up a testing menu... but it no longer works.

Is there any way to fix the GPS in Froyo?

I just did a battery pull and that fixed it for me.
That is not a fix. That is a pain in the ass. I don't want to reboot my phone every time I wish to use my GPS.

The workaround for this on 2.1 was to set the GPS starting mode to cold start, essentially making it so that your GPS functions as if you just restarted your phone EVERY TIME you use it. But that method isn't working in 2.2.

Upvote 0
That is not a fix. That is a pain in the ass. I don't want to reboot my phone every time I wish to use my GPS.

The workaround for this on 2.1 was to set the GPS starting mode to cold start, essentially making it so that your GPS functions as if you just restarted your phone EVERY TIME you use it. But that method isn't working in 2.2.

I did a battery pull once and it permanently resolved the issue.

Sounds like a fix to me.

You're welcome. Have a great day! :)

Upvote 0
The old method of fixing the GPS seems to be missing from the Froyo build I have. I used the update.zip method to go from 2.1 to 2.2. Everything seems to be pretty smooth... but now my GPS will take 40 minutes to lock on unless I reboot my phone.

I used a workaround I found on this forum to fix it. You dial *#1472365# and that brings up a testing menu... but it no longer works.

Is there any way to fix the GPS in Froyo?

I haven't seen a new dialer code for GPS in Froyo, sorry. Did you happen to have a GPS lock when you shutdown your phone the last time in 2.1? Did you still have it set to "cold start"?

I did the same thing on 2.1, but when I was updating to 2.2, I made sure I put it back to "warm start" and I never had the issue on 2.2 before I made the jump to root and really start using my phone.

I'm wondering if you might have a problem because you possibly left it on "cold start" when upgrading to 2.2. I don't know if the install would overwrite this type of setting or not, but it's probably at least worth noting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones