• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS, Wifi, and Battery: The Truth

I just set up profiles in Locale to turn all that junk on and off when I'm most likely to need it. It's worked out quite well for me so far.

For instance:
At home - Ringer loud, WiFi on, GPS off.

Leave home - Ringer loud, WiFi off, GPS on.

At work - Ringer off, WiFi on, GPS on.

I will have to check out Locale...I have been using timerrific

Upvote 0
I just set up profiles in Locale to turn all that junk on and off when I'm most likely to need it. It's worked out quite well for me so far.

For instance:
At home - Ringer loud, WiFi on, GPS off.

Leave home - Ringer loud, WiFi off, GPS on.

At work - Ringer off, WiFi on, GPS on.

about the same thing I do, my changes are ringer always on, if I have WiFi on I turn off mobile network (at home and at work) this way it isn't trying to connect to 3G (just in case an app looks for it), on an average day I get anywhere between 9 to 11 hours of battery life.

Upvote 0
Like everyone else. At home, WiFi is on, mobile (3g) and gps is off. With WiFi only I can get almost 24 hours.. with moderate use when awake.

With 3g only, just a few hours if I am using data.

I use WiFi whenever I can over 3g mobile. Sucks I have to. If I could get same time on 3g ss WiFi battery life would be awesome.

I turn it all off at night. Whether charging or not.

Sad thing is, the average user prob has no idea to do these things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones