• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS with out WIFI

wavmaker

Lurker
Dec 30, 2010
Looking for a 10 inch Tablet that can get GPS with out WIFI or Cell. My EVO 4g will receive GPS info 50 miles offshore but I'm told many Tablets have to have WIFI to get GPS. I don't want to buy an IPAD. I want to use it with NAVIONICS as a Marine chart plotter.
THANKS

Looking for a 10 inch Tablet that can get GPS with out WIFI or Cell. My EVO 4g will receive GPS info 50 miles offshore but I'm told many Tablets have to have WIFI to get GPS. I don't want to buy an IPAD. I want to use it with NAVIONICS as a Marine chart plotter.
THANKS

i'm not really sure what you mean, to be honest. wifi and gps are completely different technologies that do completely different things. no gps NEEDS wifi and no wifi needs gps, no matter what. now, if you mean you need something with gps but you won't have a wifi connection with which to view maps to see your position superimposed on, that's another story. that's easily fixed with so-called 'offline' gps apps - that is, if you get a tablet or whatever device with onboard GPS, you can get one of these apps, some paid, others free, that will use data/wifi to do a one-time download of the map onto the SD card, then you won't need data or wifi anymore for the gps functions. hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks multipule personality JON.
I have the same opinion but the tech people at ASUS feel certain that GPS will not work without WIFI. Yes I will be downloading a Chart set to the Tablet so I will not need the internet to view the chart. I think that the tech people just can't think beyond land maps that are preloaded on the tablets and phones. but I really dont't want to take the chance and have to pay a 15 percent return fee if it does not work, so I'm just hoping someone else has actually tried this successfully.
Hope you thought the first line was funny, it was a poor attempt at humor.
Thanks

Upvote 0
wavmaker, I can assure you that WiFi and true GPS are totally separate from each other. Having said that, I have seen some ads that have touted a phone as having GPS capabilities, but in fact the location tracking was actually just tracking the WiFi signal location (usually very inaccurate). Maybe that's what the techs meant.

Now, for instance, Google Maps can't update its maps without a data/WiFi connection, but the newest update allows us to cache maps for a particular destination so that they can be used when the data/WiFi connection is absent (approx. 10 mile radius only). In some circumstances, apps like Mapdroid may be needed for navigation when a data/WiFi connection is not available.

If the phone has true GPS, it has a separate GPS radio that is used ONLY for location tracking...just like the GPS devices used in cars...they are GPS only devices. WiFi has it's own, separate, radio system that's used for transferring data between like devices.

I use Google Maps whenever my WiFi can connect (I don't have a data plan), and Mapdroid for all the other times. Works well for me.

I hope this was clear...I'm dealing with a bunch of distractions at the moment.

Upvote 0
THANKS

My Android car navigation app is able to navigate without Cell or WiFi. But without cell while driving, I won't get the app's usefully infos about traffic jam, blocked road's work around, free places in car parks ...

Also NAVIONICS has stored maps and marinas and shows these without Cell or WiFi. But for infos about weather, wind, storm warnings, guest berths etc, the app will need cell.

I think, you've a radio set for this kind of info when 50 miles offshore, but the tech people might have meant navigation in general ;)

Harry

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding guys.
I think we are in agreement that this will work. now all I need is for someone with knowledge to tell me which tablet has a real GPS radio in it.

Acer A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch, and I own both, use Navfree USA and Copilot on both, neither have cell phone technology or can receive data if not on wifi. I am a road warrior and use the Galaxy Tab 2 every day as a stand alone GPS. Two choices for you.. There are several others, and I can't attest to them because I haven't owned them. Hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones