• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS without data connection

therompalace

Nov 21, 2009
I just bought my i7500 in the excitement that it has all the features that i need (except upgrade to 2.0 OS) but it seems that GPS chip doesn't work properly.

From what I understand, GPS chip enables the phone to communicate with the GPS satellites and determine the location, without the need for data plan (EDGE, HSPA, or wifi). However, on my galaxy, I have two apps (GPS Status, GPSTest) for GPS which suppose to show my location (long, lat) but I get nothing with these apps. How come? I have enabled the 'Enable GPS Satellites' and 'Use wireless networks' (even though this shouldn't be required) in Security and Location setting and still nothing. I see the little GPS icon the status bar at the top blinking but I believe it's suppose to stay there when it actually locates itself, which its clearly not doing. I have tried in various locations where the GPS signals are pretty good so I don't think reception is a problem. Any suggestions?

I have the i7500XXII4 baseband version.

Thanks

I just bought my i7500 in the excitement that it has all the features that i need (except upgrade to 2.0 OS) but it seems that GPS chip doesn't work properly.

From what I understand, GPS chip enables the phone to communicate with the GPS satellites and determine the location, without the need for data plan (EDGE, HSPA, or wifi). However, on my galaxy, I have two apps (GPS Status, GPSTest) for GPS which suppose to show my location (long, lat) but I get nothing with these apps. How come? I have enabled the 'Enable GPS Satellites' and 'Use wireless networks' (even though this shouldn't be required) in Security and Location setting and still nothing. I see the little GPS icon the status bar at the top blinking but I believe it's suppose to stay there when it actually locates itself, which its clearly not doing. I have tried in various locations where the GPS signals are pretty good so I don't think reception is a problem. Any suggestions?

I have the i7500XXII4 baseband version.

Thanks
it does work
takes a long time to connect if you are indoors or have cloudy weather

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones