GPS without data connectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. therompalace

therompalace Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought my i7500 in the excitement that it has all the features that i need (except upgrade to 2.0 OS) but it seems that GPS chip doesn't work properly.

From what I understand, GPS chip enables the phone to communicate with the GPS satellites and determine the location, without the need for data plan (EDGE, HSPA, or wifi). However, on my galaxy, I have two apps (GPS Status, GPSTest) for GPS which suppose to show my location (long, lat) but I get nothing with these apps. How come? I have enabled the 'Enable GPS Satellites' and 'Use wireless networks' (even though this shouldn't be required) in Security and Location setting and still nothing. I see the little GPS icon the status bar at the top blinking but I believe it's suppose to stay there when it actually locates itself, which its clearly not doing. I have tried in various locations where the GPS signals are pretty good so I don't think reception is a problem. Any suggestions?

I have the i7500XXII4 baseband version.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. tsphere

tsphere Well-Known Member

two points:
    first, GPS works better (as in only) outdoors, so go outside and try there if you haven't already.
    second, I find that it sometimes take a few minutes to get a location, especially at first attempt.

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

it does work
    takes a long time to connect if you are indoors or have cloudy weather

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Yeah I'll confirm that it does work. :) I've fiddled a lot with GPS Status 2 when I was abroad and had therefore deliberately blocked my data connection.