GPS working?!

Last Updated:

1. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just rec'd my captivate yesterday and I had to go downtown San Antonio to pick up my nephew.

Now, I've lived here all my life but still get confused going downtown. :confused:

anyway, I voiced searched the hotel and the google found it on the first try. It navigated me all the way there with 100% accuracy.

The only issue is that when I took it away from the windshield area, to make a call, it lost signal. I didn't have a good place to put it, at the time, other than the dashboard - but it worked great.

I'll try it out again today & update.

Advertisement
  2. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

There are reports that GPS is initially working (a couple of days) and then goes bad - can't confirm personally but that is what I read here.
    I first tried MY GPS a week after getting the phone, so at that time mine was already not working.

3. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

I can tell you that getting a new phone or sometimes even just do a factory reset, it will work well for 2-4 days then it will break.

4. George0211

George0211 Well-Known Member

Simple answer NO. I'm running the JH3 firmware and I actually got lost yesterday in my friend's development. Captivate's GPS couldn't even locate me even with A-GPS.

5. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

I have something to ask from all of the new people here: please before you happily post threads saying your GPS works, try switching wireless assist off and see how many satts your phone sees and locks on. Do this for one week, and if you still get great lock after a week, start a new thread :)

6. Larry202br

Larry202br Member

Indeed, that's what happened to mine. I got it Saturday, and worked well, now, it's completely dead. I've tried changing the settings in the sticky thread above, doesn't help.

7. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member

I have had my captivate for over a month now and my gps worked then and works now. I did not do a bunch of tweaks or have to flash newer ROMs or anything like that. There are issues though. Search this forum to read more.

8. tysj

tysj Well-Known Member

I've had mine since launch and it's been working after changing the supl to google's. It has gotten me where I needed to go and back without many problems. The tracking may be a bit inaccurate, but it's not trying to spin me in circles or anything.

9. Galroc

Galroc Active Member

My GPS is schizophrenic.

Today, while waiting in the car, far away from wifi, but in range of at least one cellular tower, I was getting 6/7 out of 7 locks with high accuracy. This was in my hand, and not on the dash. If I shook the Captivate just a bit, it would immediately drop all the satellite locks, but then would reacquire within a few seconds. But, after a few minutes, it stopped reacquiring after shaking. There is something that is degrading the ability to maintain a lock.

Stock rom, some adjustments to the GPS settings.

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I've been getting a lock after a few minutes. What i do now is as soon as i get in my car i type the directions to navigate. By the time i hit the freeway it usually picks up by then. So for my captivate, it works but takes a few minutes. Still there's no need for all of that. Samsung still needs to put out an update.

11. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

My GPS just plain stinks. On the offchance it does lock it has me jumping around when using Navigate. I used it last weekend and it was frustrating to say the least. I can't wait for a new GPS update to fix the problem.

12. BobPaul

BobPaul Well-Known Member

Cool! So basically what you are saying is that your GPS DOES NOT WORK!

< / FACEPALM >

13. RaginCajun713

RaginCajun713 New Member

The navigation on mine works, but it can't find my location accurately ever. It always locates me as 3-5 miles from where I am. But if I put in the addresses it's fine. Even on wifi it can't find my correct location. =/