• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS :Your current location is temporarily unavailable

xlomo

Jan 8, 2011
Hello Lads, so i bought gt540 yesterday and I've been messing around with it all day. When i open google maps and select the "My location" option (GPS enabled) i get the following message "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" what might be causing that ?
Is the GPS a free service for anyone to use or does it need a kind of subscription ?

I have to state that i am a total noob regarding GPS and the 540 is my first smartphone.

P.S. My location is Athens - Greece

Hello Lads, so i bought gt540 yesterday and I've been messing around with it all day. When i open google maps and select the "My location" option (GPS enabled) i get the following message "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" what might be causing that ?
Is the GPS a free service for anyone to use or does it need a kind of subscription ?

I have to state that i am a total noob regarding GPS and the 540 is my first smartphone.

P.S. My location is Athens - Greece

You need data connection to be enabled too...

Upvote 0
Ok, I see what data connection stands for, Well, it didn't work, so if that's all it takes to make gps work under google maps then i guess there's something wrong with the phone itself, i'll look into it the next time i'll be under open sky. Thanks for your answers.

Edit: ok it works, there should be a free app somewhere with preloaded maps though. Thanks for your time Nirob

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem, and it happens completely random... A few times was cloudy so I thought it might be the bad weather, while my friend wit an iPhone could find the location. But then later sometimes it would work while its cloudy n sometimes it wouldnt work while its sunny without clouds.. It looks like its working for a past few weeks but i really dont know whats causing that...

Upvote 0
You can have an inaccurate GPS location by turning on Wi-Fi Position. But that is of no use since that locates the provider location of my home internet.

Try downloading GPS test from market. You need at least 3 GPS satellites to get a precise location. "GPS test" fixes the problem most of the time for me.

If that doesn't work, try moving around a bit. When I first got this phone i tested it in my room and i got the error you have. When i walked in my front yard it found my location.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones