• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Jun 26, 2010
It seems after the update now I see the GPS sat icon in the top of the phone come on more and more all on its own. This doesn't make sense as I dont have any apps in the background running that pull gps and my weather channel widget doesn't use gps to get the area as I have it manually entered.

Anyone have an idea as to what would be pulling it or causing it?

thats an app requesting service to GPS. you should look into the permissions the apps you have are asking for. they can run, call up GPS, and stop running without your intervention. are you rooted? custom ROM? i am stock un rooted. i have several apps that would request GPS service. i dont see that icon pop up really at all until i open an app that needs the service. my location service is always running as well and that icon stays lit...

Upvote 0
stock not rooted at all. I know i have apps that can request gps but none are running as I said in my original post. And checking running services doesn't show any of them running aside from the original htc/android/sprint stuff from stock.
Just to be sure I'm talking about the satellite icon that will pop up to the left of the GPS crosshair icon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones