Gps

Last Updated:

1. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey can someone clarify what the gps widget controls? Like are you supposed to use it with another program (eg, google nav)? Does it cost money or require additional data? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

It just toggles GPS on and off. But GPS wont be activated unless you use something like maps or nav, like you said. I don't believe it costs anything, as all your phone is doing is listening in to the GPS satalites' broadcast (So no data transfer).

3. walkinhotdog

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know of any map/gps programs that can be used without data transfer, just strictly using gps?

4. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Well-Known Member

No. It requires data to update the map as you move.

5. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

It depends what software you use. Software such as Google maps (and Google Nav when we get it) and the free apps in the market place normally rely upon data being downloaded on your phone as needed.

However proper sat nav applications like Sygic's Mobile Maps or Copilot (both of which you pay for) has all of the maps and other info you need on the SD card and does not need any data transfer to work, unless you decide to activate traffic monitoring, if available.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, it would be much handier if you could save specific areas to the sd card on gmaps.

7. walkinhotdog

Thanks for the replies. I guess im not in that big of a need for a free gps program or willing to pay for one :cool:. ill just pray for wifi if i ever need to look at a map.

8. jev

jev Well-Known Member

The free "rmaps" app can use offline maps... it doesn't do navigation though if that's what you need.

9. striker26uk

striker26uk Member

Has anyone managed to get ndrive for free yet?

10. ticho

ticho Well-Known Member

Another alternative for offline maps is MapDroyd (together with its backend ContentDroyd), which gets its data from OpenStreetMap project. Doesn't do turn-by-turn navigation either, though.

11. The_Major

The_Major Member

Yes, its only free for 7 days. It confused the hell out of me, you need to install the app from the market, and then select the map you want to "buy" it then gives you the option to try which downloads the maps. I gave it a go this morning, it seemed pretty good and a pop-up told me my map was only valid for a week. The UK & Eire map is 250Mb so use wifi!

12. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

The trouble is that the place you need to look at a map will be the place you are least likely to find wifi, especially when you are driving :D