• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grand Old Party At The Apple Store...

Have you ever waited outside with bated breath outside your favorite electronic store for an item?

• Total voters

kblanco

Feb 2, 2015
So I was excising at the mall early Saturday morning, the mall closest to my house happens to have an Apple Store. So I'm checking out the celebratory crowd out front those glass doors as I'm power walking through and there's a lot of folks out early Saturday morning...like before 8:30am! They're all taking selfies with the giant Apple in the window and taking single and group pictures standing in front of the glass doors with all of Apple's fancy wooden tables.
Look, I'm sorry that I embarrassed the family member that I was with, but I just couldn't let this go and started talking above normal conversational volume as we're passing through the crowds about Android being better than Apple...and does everyone know that the IPhone 7 is only incrementally better than the IPhone 6... My family member made it a point that on our return trip we were on the upper level away from the Apple Store which is on the first level. When they finally opened the crowd erupted in a cheer you could hear down the mall concourse!!!

So I apologize to my family member if I embarrassed you. But I will just never understand the lure of a cellphone, or other electronic device, Apple in particular, Android or something else that'll make folks come out in droves on a Saturday morning more than an hour (or who knows how long the first person was there) before the store opens. By comparison after reading the reviews of the then upcoming Moto G4, I anxiously awaited for the pre-orders to start which I ordered mine....online....and then had delivered by UPS to my house. When it arrived it arrived.

When the kid was little I waited in line at Best Buy for, probably, a Sega system. Maybe it was a PS, not sure but that was a long line. Got there before they opened and they were handing out tickets/reservations. Even with numbers in hand it was still a crush when the doors opened. I swore never again.

But. Then. The OG Moto Droid was being released. So, I went to my Verizon store just as they were opening. Not a huge line but they were handing out numbers as people went in. By the time I got mine and it was activated the line had really grown. I swore never again.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have always avoided the counters, I do it all online or by phone to the Verizon Customer Service folks, I always seem to manage a $20 or $30 bonus bucks for being a 25+ year customer

I have only bought 2 phones I think, under their contract at full price..... I have managed to wait it out and get both of my Samsung S5s at $99 each... downside to that though, is the extra $10/month until that contract is complete, so that adds $240 to the $99 and the phone is not so cheap anymore.

none of my phones are on contract after this month, all gone gone. I have bought my last contract phone. That deducts $10/month off each of them from now on :) and that adds up to a $40/month savings

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones