• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grand X Max + OFFICIAL LOLLIPOP UPDATE FROM ZTE!!!!!!!

So far from what I have seen there is no root option for the lollipop update of zte max plus...untill there is I would leave it be...ftm mode is file transfer mode just so u know
If you have already installed this update you can't root but if you are still on kitkat you can root your phone then install the pre-rooted 5.1 update

Upvote 0
For anyone that can't be bother or do not wish to root:

"Storage Card" refers to your MicroSD card. Place the 'update.zip' on the root -- the top most directory -- of your memory card. Then go to settings > about phone > system updates > storage card updates, click 'Ok', use the built-in back up utility if you wish and upgrade.

Placing update.zip on the internal storage renders it undetectable.

I just successfully updated my sisters phone. I hope I helped you !

Upvote 0
I wouldn't advise the prerooted version its clitchy... Just be patient and take lollipop... Don't worry about root just yet...
When you say its glitchy, may I assume that you did a factory reset, wiped system, and deleted the Android folder on your internal storage before you flashed it and that you didn't add, remove, or modify any system files after you flashed it? If you didn't wipe properly or you made changes to the system then it is entirely possible that the problems you had were caused by something you did or didn't do.

Upvote 0
So what are the benefits of 5.1 over 4.4.4 for this device? Reason I ask is because I love the way my phone works now but also liked some of the extras lollipop introduced. I was also wondering exactly what steps are taken to flash the rooted 5.1 update you released chief, thanks in advance
You can find that info in the thread for my rooted update.

Reactions: Stony442
Upvote 0
Do you not have twrp recovery installed? If twrp is still installed on your phone just hold power to bring up the menu and select reboot then right after you press reboot hold the volume up button until you enter recovery.
Im haveno type of know hows this kind of stuff, i downloaded the prerooted file, the rest, i dont know squat. My carrier is cricket, on the pro-plan. If your up for it, a tutorial, id so appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Also i dont have a sd card for the sd port, havnt got around to buying it. Do i need that? I do have the zte gand x max +. So got the right phone. If you have a tutorial already shoot me the link, or if you have time, tell me what to do......pleeaaase and thank you, lol, jk. Hope yu or sumone can help, (^_^)

Upvote 0
For anyone that can't be bother or do not wish to root:

"Storage Card" refers to your MicroSD card. Place the 'update.zip' on the root -- the top most directory -- of your memory card. Then go to settings > about phone > system updates > storage card updates, click 'Ok', use the built-in back up utility if you wish and upgrade.

Placing update.zip on the internal storage renders it undetectable.

I just successfully updated my sisters phone. I hope I helped you !

I see there are 2 files there to download do I download both?

Upvote 0
This might be of some use for those who have installed the update and are now stuck in a bootloop.

I recently installed a zip from ZTE's website which had a bad md5. This put me into a bootloop and I think the reason was due to downloading it from a WiFi connection. There was literally nothing that I could do to get back to factory settings as it wiped recovery and any form of reset. The only thing that was available was FTM..Even still I only reset the phone by fastboot and that's it.

OK, so I contacted ZTE directly and told them what had happened. These phones are relatively new and if you are still in the 1 year warranty period guess what....you can get your phone replaced for free. I think that most people forget about this. You MUST call ZTE directly and have ALL of your information about the phone available. ZTE will take care of the problem.

I had to do this after trying to fix my phone myself, but failed. They will check the phone and make sure that nothing had been tampered with, and that there is no water damage.

Just FYI... I DID have my phone rooted and heavily modified. Even though I restored a stock rom and made sure that EVWRYTHING was stock and all root traces were removed this can still happen. It's just a bad download that you will never know about until you try and flash.

Even after all that, I was a little worried that I didn't remove all traces of root. After they looked over the phone I got a status update that said the new phone was on its way. BRILLIANT!!!

I am not sure that it was all worth it though. I no longer can take 360 photo's anymore and the camera seems to be sorely lacking since this update. Not to mention the phone seems to keep a very long log of "previously running apps" and even though I close them all down, I can immediately check back and see a ton of other apps that I closed 10 minutes ago. Very strange.

So, I have a little question for all of you who bought this phone early on....do you have a gyro in your phone, or just accelerometer? Just curious why all of these 360 cameras don't work now that they replaced my phone lol.

Upvote 0
ZTE GRAND™ X MAX+
grand_x_max_plus_logo-01.png

hero.png

THE NAME SAYS IT ALL.
Maximum display size, maximum speed, maximum camera, maximum everything!

$169.99 from Cricket
BUY NOW

Support Overview
Software Updates
ZTE Grand X Max+ Software Upgrade Instructions (English - DOC - 910KB)

Android 5.1 Software Update - Software Version: Z987V2.2.12

Download

ZTE Grand X Max+ Software Upgrade (ZIP - 867MB)

Android 5.1 Software Update - Software Version: Z987V2.2.12

Download

hello pls the link is not working i need the stock office cricket rom zip for this zte grand x-max now
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/zte-files/Z987+2.2.12+SD+update.zip
it say this
AccessDeniedAccess DeniedF0ADC34D81559F99gqiI1Xzcvn6R1UK5MbEQl8fEjtq2QVcrYNpinjjA18umaeBQE5fFsLr1HXMtaz1b4GSiDIKFGME=

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones