• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gray wifi/data bars, how to make them blue again?

Idunno

Android Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2010
SoCal
So I've read that the turning of your status bars from blue to gray means there is no communication between the device and google's servers, I still get 4G/3G/WiFi with all of their capabilites and can sync google services such as gmail/contacts etc. I have noticed that when I change between roms they are all blue, everything syncs, I restore my titanium backup then that's when it hits.

I don't know if it has something to do with the device ID changing every time a new rom/reset is done, but I heavily suspect that is the reason. This would explain the loss of connection to google's servers (the gray bars) and my market issues (unable to download apps due to strange numerical error) post-restore. Everything works flawlessly up until I restore the backup.

SO.... my question is, how can I get these back to blue/have my market work again, because I am 99% positive they are both caused by the same (minor) issue. I have tried clearing cache/data/force stopping various google services (acct. manager, play store etc.) in an attempt to get me to re-login and get a new "token" if you will, thus far without success. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to my phone but not about stuff like this, does anyone have any ideas/does anyone understand what i'm saying?

Pre-thanks.

Are you restoring system apps or data with TiBu? You could be mucking up settings in the new rom by doing this.

....ummm, maybe. Actually yes, I do a complete restore (missing apps + all system data)... should I not do that?

A better question would be: what should I backup/restore? I'm not worried about my homescreens I can use my nova backup for that, I just want my apps and settings to be the way I want w/o having to install each one and go through and set each one up, same goes for system settings (screen off timer, ringtone, keyboard settings etc).

I have just always done the full backup and restore, mainly because i'm so deathly afraid of losing all my stuff... if there is a better option please enlighten me :)

Upvote 0
system settings (screen off timer, ringtone, keyboard settings etc).
I don't do a ton of flashing, but my educated guess is this is where you are getting into trouble. You could probably verify by skipping this step or hopefully someone with more experience can elucidate.

I have just always done the full backup and restore, mainly because i'm so deathly afraid of losing all my stuff... if there is a better option please enlighten me :)

I use app extractor pro which allows me to pull what I want out of my nandroid backup so I don't have a ton of experience with TiBu. I am able to restore all my user apps and data. I never tried system data except for Chrome on JB (mainly for stored passwords) and that worked OK.

Upvote 0
Your bars are borked by restoring something that should not have been. Typically system data of some kind aka specifically a Google app such as gmail, talk, maps, voice, etc...

Easy fix though just rewipe and reflash and upon using tibu do not restore anything in red nor anything Google related. That's been my experience

Reactions: Idunno
Upvote 0
I get this issue from time to time with no apparent cause. What works to fix the issue for me is the following steps:

1) Switch on Airplane Mode
2) Reboot
3) Wait for boot to complete
4) Switch off Airplane Mode
5) Something magical happens and the blue bars come back again.

Not sure if this is a CM10.1 or ROM issue, but the above steps help.

PS: Thought I would post this here since it was the first page that came up when I searched for "wifi grayed out android" on google. Hope this helps some other folks.

Reactions: coolnezz
Upvote 0
I get this issue from time to time with no apparent cause. What works to fix the issue for me is the following steps:

2) Reboot

PS: Thought I would post this here since it was the first page that came up when I searched for "wifi grayed out android" on google. Hope this helps some other folks.

When does this happen? Is it an intermittent issue and not relating to a specific time period or is it when you go to bed and either charge the phone or not use it at all?

The reason I ask is that I had/have the same issue ever since my old Nexus S and subsequently with my Galaxy Nexus.

I never found a real fix, that is to say not using a 'work-around', even though I have used Google factory images (ROMs) and custom ROMs. I employ a 'work-around' that is convenient and effective deals with the issue. I have installed Tasker from the Play Store and run a script that toggles WiFi off and on between 12:00pm and 6:00am. Never a problem with no data, i. e. greyed out signal bars.

Upvote 0
When does this happen? Is it an intermittent issue and not relating to a specific time period or is it when you go to bed and either charge the phone or not use it at all?

The reason I ask is that I had/have the same issue ever since my old Nexus S and subsequently with my Galaxy Nexus.

I never found a real fix, that is to say not using a 'work-around', even though I have used Google factory images (ROMs) and custom ROMs. I employ a 'work-around' that is convenient and effective deals with the issue. I have installed Tasker from the Play Store and run a script that toggles WiFi off and on between 12:00pm and 6:00am. Never a problem with no data, i. e. greyed out signal bars.

I haven't seen any noticeable pattern to the issue. I do know however that if I were to switch airplane mode on, then off, the bars will grey out and not return to blue until I perform the steps I outlined. If I make changes in my router say wifi channel (or even anything unrelated to wifi) the signal bars will grey out and, once again, not return until I perform the airplane mode reboot dance. Turning wifi off, then on again? Grey bars same as before. Putting the phone to sleep doesn't seem to affect anything. Then again my wifi settings are set to keep active even during sleep.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen any noticeable pattern to the issue. I do know however that if I were to switch airplane mode on, then off, the bars will grey out and not return to blue until I perform the steps I outlined. If I make changes in my router say wifi channel (or even anything unrelated to wifi) the signal bars will grey out and, once again, not return until I perform the airplane mode reboot dance. Turning wifi off, then on again? Grey bars same as before. Putting the phone to sleep doesn't seem to affect anything. Then again my wifi settings are set to keep active even during sleep.

I retract one of my previous statements. The phone went to sleep for a while (hour maybe) and when I turned it back on the wifi bars were grayed out.

Upvote 0
You need to do is :
1.Download root explorer install,and open it
2.Turn off your wifi
3.Go to the etc folder and find the file named host and delete it
4.Then reboot your phone (just reboot)
5. After that turn on your wifi
Then it will make your wifi icon blue again just wait
(Trust me it works) ^_^,hope it will help you (sorry for poor english)

Upvote 0

2) Reboot

This worked for me! Been experiencing intermittent gray bars.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I figured it out..
NOTE: Check YouTube and if there's an error saying couldn't sign in properly or something like that. This method can work.

Requirements: ROOT and a FILE MANAGER (NOT THE FACTORY VERSION)
{I used File Manager HD (Cheetah Mobile)}

1.) Go to the settings of your File Manager and tick (check) "Root Explorer" and "Change System Folders"
2.) Go to Root ( / ) > etc.. then find the hosts
3.) Open it as text and if you have only this "127.0.0.1 localhost"
put it like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.244.184.71 android.clients.google.com
mtalk.google.com

there's a space between "71" and "android"
if you don't have any hosts file I don't know what to do. Just copy that if you have one.
4.) Instantly after you save that your bars will turn blue. IMMEDIATELY !

Hope this method works for you too!
If not.. Try YouTube and search for other.. Use other gadgets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones