• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great day for the Evo 4G and Sprint

Ahhh thanks for the short version :)
it's 8 a.m. and i am still "sleep" lol

I'm having a blonde moment haha but i guess basically it's almost like they want you to go over so they can make more money?

Correct. They are making it sound like a good thing by stating most users don't consume more than 2 gb a month and most probably did not a few years ago..

But when you factor in the new phones being able to tether your laptops, Stream, video chatting etc. 2gb will be a drop in the bucket and they will now make the kind of money off of data that they made off of voice minutes.

New profit center same old tricks..

Reactions: cmanbrazil
Upvote 0
Here is the Math..

Unlimited data on my EVO will be 30 dollars a month.. I use 40 GB last month..

On ATT

25 2gb plan
20 tethering charge..
-----------------
45 bucks
--------------------
40-2 + 38 times 10 bucks a month per additional GB = 380

380 + 45= 420 for the month

If you add sprints hotspot feature of $30 per month it is still an additional $390 per month

I will admit to not being the typical user.. I only use 200 voice minutes a month but my data consumption is off the charts

Upvote 0
Essentially they are saying that they don't see people using their phone more in the future, and if they do want to use the phone more, they will be charged. We've seen the iPhone 4G hardware, it has a front facing camera, that will use more bandwidth than the current device. AT&T made it clear that extended use of these devices is not something they want to happen.

Oh, they see it happening, all right. They see it happening and they want in: they want to profit from it. All it would take is a couple of video calls to push an ordinarily moderate user up over the cap and into fee territory.

Most users won't even know what hit them when they see their bill. People will feel blindsided and they'll be angry about it. When people buy a phone they naturally want to use all the features it came with. And I would guess that upwards of 98% of smartphone users can't reasonably approximate how much data any given task will consume. It sucks that they'll be finding out the hard way.

I predict that data usage control/monitoring apps will become bestsellers on AT&T phones in very short order. :cool:

Upvote 0
Then the question is, are they pulling that fact out of their nether regions. Besides, I would rather have the safety of knowing I am unlimited than worrying about going over minutes AND data. Especially since Android phones polls for data information all the time.

Sent Using Tapatalk
Nah, that number makes sense. Most people aren't going to go over 2GB without tethering. Of course now that they're offering tethering...

Upvote 0
Latest Wireless News - CNET News

Well, ATT just announced it's June surprise to it's customers. New data rates. It looks like just the beginning of tiered pricing, and it's really not good for those of us who want to use our smartphones to their capabilities. They outright obliterated "unlimited" from their plans. Can't wait for my Evo and move to Sprint much longer.

Isn't that $10 unlimited sounding more and more like a bargain?:cool:

Upvote 0
Honestly, this would be a plus for me. I am constantly connected to a WiFi network wherever I am and almost never browse using a cell signal. I could actually get away with the 200mb charge and never get anywhere near that. I just looked on my iPhone usage and it tells me I've only used 650MB worth of data. I'm not sure when it resets but I know it doesn't reset every month. And if I have to manually reset it then thats the amount of data I've used since I got my phone nearly two years ago!

Upvote 0
Honestly, this would be a plus for me. I am constantly connected to a WiFi network wherever I am and almost never browse using a cell signal. I could actually get away with the 200mb charge and never get anywhere near that. I just looked on my iPhone usage and it tells me I've only used 650MB worth of data. I'm not sure when it resets but I know it doesn't reset every month. And if I have to manually reset it then thats the amount of data I've used since I got my phone nearly two years ago!

Do you use your phone to tether?

Upvote 0
lol.... iphone users can't use their phones for calls, and, now, can't use their phones for data either???? wow at&t... what do you use phones for....

realistically though... they save 95% of people $5 dollars...

1. $5 isn't a significant amount of saving to drop data to 2gb...

2. if they wanted to tier their data rates, they could've left the $30 dollar plan and tier downwards...

they should make me CFO now that i think about it:D

Upvote 0
Here is another link regarding the OP's link : AT&T to end unlimited pricing plan for mobile data | Reuters

Aint that a "b****"! Wow talk about shafting thier customers. I just showed my office (over 25 Iphone users) and they are upset.

Hopefully Spint or VZW doesnt follow suit.

I cant believe that ATT says " 98% of customer use more than 2gig of data."

Didnt they have an issue a few years back regarding people using too much data and cloging the network??

Wow good luck to all Iphone/ATT users

Upvote 0
The sad part is this crisis could have been adverted if those stiffs would have actually realized what their customers wanted and built out, instead of trying to be stingy with the money to pad their own pockets.

I would have loved to hear the logic against when someone brought up the fact that people would want to use the internet and check their email on phones in a board meeting and how the current system wouldn't be able to handle it.

Upvote 0
I just showed my office (over 25 Iphone users) and they are upset.

Wow good luck to all Iphone/ATT users
Why?

It will make absolutely no difference to ANY EXISTING AT&T CUSTOMER who currently has the "unlimited" plan because they can keep that plan. Even if they upgrade phones and/or renew their contracts. It only applies to NEW SUBSCRIBERS who aren't currently with AT&T.

From the AT&T announcement:
"Current AT&T subscribers will be allowed to keep the unlimited plan, even if they renew their contracts. But all new subscribers will have to choose one of the two new plans."

Upvote 0
Why?

It will make absolutely no difference to ANY EXISTING AT&T CUSTOMER who currently has the "unlimited" plan because they can keep that plan. Even if they upgrade phones and/or renew their contracts. It only applies to NEW SUBSCRIBERS who aren't currently with AT&T.

From the AT&T announcement:
"Current AT&T subscribers will be allowed to keep the unlimited plan, even if they renew their contracts. But all new subscribers will have to choose one of the two new plans."

Right, but once their current contract is up I doubt they'd let them keep their old plan. If they had any intention of renewing when ohhhh the new iPhone drops soon they'll be forced to get one of the new data options.

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones