• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great day for the Evo 4G and Sprint

2 GB for email!? :eek: Are you a spammer? An average email (without large attachments) is in the tens of kilobytes range. So if your emails are 50KB (fairly large) you could send ~40,000 emails before hitting 2GB. Did you send 40,000 emails this morning?

Almost every email I send out in the morning has a report attached to it.. usually multiple reports to different people..

10-20 damn pages and PPT presentations. The 2gb was also partly sarcasm

-------------------------

Sprint told me they would pay me 10 bucks a month to go to ATT

Upvote 0
Exactly right. They aren't going to let existing users stay on the unlimited data plans forever. They will eventually get them to move over to the new data plans eventually.

Yep. And don't expect Apple to keep making 3G/3GS models when they want to move on. I've been with ATT for many years, and they've never done anything that benefits subscribers or rewards loyalty that's memorable or really makes a difference. If they didn't offer such a good company discount, I would have dropped them years ago.

Upvote 0
Almost every email I send out in the morning has a report attached to it.. usually multiple reports to different people..

10-20 damn pages and PPT presentations. The 2gb was also partly sarcasm

-------------------------

Sprint told me they would pay me 10 bucks a month to go to ATT
LOL.

I found a nice chart that gives an idea of how much data different activities consume. I think it's pretty useful unless you're this guy^:

What-Does-5GB-Get-Me-Capture.JPG

What does 5GB (Gigabytes) Get Me? : EVDOinfo.com

Upvote 0
2gb is childs play for heavy users.. I consume 2 gb this morning sending out emails..

I think your confusing a gb with a mb. There is no way you sent out 2gb of emails this morning.

It is very very difficult to go over 2gb a month on a phone without tethering. You really have to be watching youtube videos all day long and never do anything else.

For everyone else, make sure you understand the facts before you go on saying everyone is going to jump ship from AT&T to Sprint, because they aren't. The fact that they are changing this structure benefits current AT&T customers. Current customers have the choice to stay with their $30 unlimited plan (there is no 5gb cap like people here like to think), or switch to one of the newer plans. Even for power users, if they don't need to tether, the $25 2gb plan will be more then enough. So they get to choose whether they want nothing at all to change or save $5-15 by switching to a lower plan that may make more sense for them depending on their usage. Jailbreaking the phone is a click of a button and then you can get free tethering that way too.

I currently have an iPhone and am thinking of switching to the Evo, so I frequent both an iPhone forum and an Android forum and I think its hilarious how bad the fanboyism gets on both sites. People are so quick to bash before they know the facts.

Upvote 0
LOL.

I found a nice chart that gives an idea of how much data different activities consume. I think it's pretty useful unless you're this guy^:

View attachment 5429

Guess the only thing left is to get the Evo, use it, and watch the naysayers and doubters come around.

I'm 100% positive Apple made ATT announce these plans separate from the iPhone because Apple wants to make it clear that this is ATT's issue. I thought ATT would pull out the stops to keep Apple biz, but this doesn't line up with that.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think your confusing a gb with a mb. There is no way you sent out 2gb of emails this morning.

It is very very difficult to go over 2gb a month on a phone without tethering. You really have to be watching youtube videos all day long and never do anything else.

Again, like I said in an earlier post, this pricing is for the future. In other words while it does save people money now in the near future, 2-3 year, it's going to cost them (the consumer) an arm and a leg.

Data usage is exploding and it's only going to get worse. Wireless providers are going to experience what Internet access providers have been experiencing over the past several years. The demand for data is going to be very high in the next few years as these smart phones get capabilities that only laptops had. Their networks aren't going to be able to handle the increased demand.

ATT grew too big too fast. They can't afford, currently, to build out their network to meet demand in the next 3-5 years (i'm not sure any carrier can). So they are either going to make a butt load of money from data hungry users or they are going to limit data going across their wireless network with high overage fees and data usage caps.

That's my take on it.

Oh and GB is the next MB.

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
Gigabytes or gigabites. You download like 6 mp3 songs and you have hit 2 Gb.

This morning, for the last 5 hours. I have received 1769 emails, I have sent 100 emails from my phone, tethering.

Average size per email is 8MB. So let see here. That is 800MB in 5 hours. You honestly think I am going to make a month with 2GB?

Upvote 0
Gigabytes or gigabites. You download like 6 mp3 songs and you have hit 2 Gb.

This morning, for the last 5 hours. I have received 1769 emails, I have sent 100 emails from my phone, tethering.

Average size per email is 8MB. So let see here. That is 800MB in 5 hours. You honestly think I am going to make a month with 2GB?

A) What the hell kind of mp3s are you downloading at 333 megs each? 6 hour long concerts? Your 8gig memory card would hardly hold two CDs.

B) Average e-mail is 8MB? What are you receiving and sending? Most e-mails without attachments are closer to 10k.

edit: Even if you're using Gb for some reason, that's still ~41 MB per song. That's far above any MP3 quality that I know of, and closer to the size in .wav format.

Upvote 0
LOL.

View attachment 5429

Strange, but I did at least 20-25 hi def netflix movies, I use email with lots of attachments and enjoy many other data intensive internet activities, yet Comcast only shows me with 25 Gb for the month. Perhaps the compression for Netflix is greater than that chart shows.

Upvote 0
I tend to think that AT&T is trying to get people to sign up for the unlimited plan PRIOR to the EVO roll out. If people find out that after the 7th, that there will be NO MORE UNLIMITED, they will jump on the chance to sign up before it's "too late". I took a marekting class for my MA degree and it was taught by one of the AT&T marketing gurus. They aren't a bunch of idiots...although you would think so. There is something up their sleeve IMHO.

Upvote 0
Strange, but I did at least 20-25 hi def netflix movies, I use email with lots of attachments and enjoy many other data intensive internet activities, yet Comcast only shows me with 25 Gb for the month. Perhaps the compression for Netflix is greater than that chart shows.

Your cable ISP may have its own compression algorithms so yes, it could be less than the chart conversions.

Upvote 0
I tend to think that AT&T is trying to get people to sign up for the unlimited plan PRIOR to the EVO roll out. If people find out that after the 7th, that there will be NO MORE UNLIMITED, they will jump on the chance to sign up before it's "too late". I took a marekting class for my MA degree and it was taught by one of the AT&T marketing gurus. They aren't a bunch of idiots...although you would think so. There is something up their sleeve IMHO.

You know that would be sound logic....but what would be the point to do that now?

If someone couldnt wait 2+ more days for an EVO just to catch AT&T's deal before it ends, they would still be stuck.

First they would have to buy a new phone, possibly an iPhone, but then it would be outdated in a week. And no way is AT&T letting you sign up now for a 3Gs for you to "trade" it in a week or so later.

I dont think this change in plan was to battle the EVO in anyway, it doesnt really benefit old subscribers who wont change their Unlimited plan....and all the other changes (IMO) shouldnt help bring new customers regardless of what the new iPhone does.

Upvote 0
The timing of the announcement is baffling without having all the information. But my guess is that maybe ATT had to do this in order to get the iPhone cost/subsidy down to the $199 that Evo has. They have to make it back some way, and that will be through data use.

Not baffling at all. Consider this report released today by Cisco:

Online Video Will Push Internet Traffic to Quadruple by 2014 [REPORT]

Cisco Systems has predicted that Internet networking traffic will have quadrupled between 2009 and 2014 in its Annual Visual Networking Index Forecast. It also predicted that online video will be the primary driver of that growth.

Upvote 0
Not baffling at all. Consider this report released today by Cisco:

Online Video Will Push Internet Traffic to Quadruple by 2014 [REPORT]

It's still baffling because it should have been done well before now. The old way of thinking - announce plan changes right before new phone is introduced - only works if you have great news to announce. This clearly is not great news.

People are going to be red-hot mad when they find out the new iPhone features will be unique to that model and new plans are required. I know there are people saying "I'll keep the plan I have" but that will likely require not having a phone that can do the same features like vid-chat of the new iPhone.

Everyone knows data is going to explode in the wireless arena, but announcing this before you can even reliably provide a good data experience isn't what I would have expected.

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
A) What the hell kind of mp3s are you downloading at 333 megs each? 6 hour long concerts? Your 8gig memory card would hardly hold two CDs.

B) Average e-mail is 8MB? What are you receiving and sending? Most e-mails without attachments are closer to 10k.

edit: Even if you're using Gb for some reason, that's still ~41 MB per song. That's far above any MP3 quality that I know of, and closer to the size in .wav format.

Ok, first.

Just to get this straight.
There is a difference between GB and Gb. There is a difference between MB and Mb.

Your 41 MB song is actually 328 Mbs in size.

You see one MB= 1 Megabyte. One Mb=Megabite. 8 Megabits =1 megabyte.

So to hit 1 gigabite you would need 3-41 megabyte files. There is a huge difference between Mb and MB.

That is why I ask about if it was gigabite or gigabyte.

All the email I send have attachments, all of them.

Upvote 0
WHAT? To what? I am about to dump two lines tomorrow.

i heard its 325
but from what i heard, it only goes for new customers who sign/renew contracts after june 1st, 2010

so i dont think this will affect u

As an soon to be ex AT&T customer who just got off the phone with their cust service regarding this:), the old ETF was $175:(; the new one is $350:eek: and only affects any NEW contacts signed beginning June 1, 2010.:) Also, the ETF decreases $5 per line monthly as you get closer to fufilling the terms of the contract.:D

Since I my contact was renewed when I was "upgraded" in December 2008 (Sucka MF's automatically change contract date while refusing me a free replacement for faulty iPhone number 3:mad::mad::mad:), my contract now ends in December 2010.:mad:

Another thing to keep in mind is AT&T bills a month ahead.... so in my case I have already paid my monthly AT&T bill ($155); my ETF is down to $90.:) After I port over to Sprint, AT&T will have to close out my account and give me a credit pro rated for June.:D They will apply the portion of credit to my ETF and send me a check for the remainder.:D:D

Kinda long winded, but I thought this would help clear up any confusion.;):):D

Upvote 0
With the release of the evo and now this, looks like Sprint and At&T will be switching places.

Sprint will soon be 2nd and AT&T dead last lol

Eh it will be a nice battle...and the EVO surely helps Sprint. BUT there are still masses of iPhone users for AT&T, and the EVO isnt enough alone to overtake AT&T.

Now, if the rumors are true...and from Jobs own quote, that the iPhone could end up on 2 US Carriers....

Even if the other carrier isnt Sprint, it will destroy AT&T's market enormously....that alone could bring AT&T down to 3rd place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones