• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Great surprise following hard reset

iPhone2Droid

Dec 7, 2009
I did a hard reset on my Droid after futzing around with one app too many. Removed the SD card first. Did the reset via the menu: Settings >> Privacy >> Factory Data Reset. The automated reactivation took less than 2-3 minutes, and all the Google stuff flowed back in as expected once I signed in.

The shocker? When I went to the My Downloads area of the Market, I noticed that quite a few of the apps were marked "Installed". Sure enough, when I checked the Droid, they were there in the Apps screen...and functioning! It could not have been My Backup Pro, cause I hadn't reloaded that one at the time.

Could it be that this is one of the quiet thrills of the Droid, or version 2x?? Or maybe, when I reinserted the SD card, some apps were intelligent enough to reload themselves? (I recall when I did a factory reset of the MyTouch months ago, **I** had to reinstall EVERYthing.) Whatever, sure is making my return-to-where-I-was life MUCH easier than anticipated!

Bonus: 3G reception was ok before, now that sucka is kicking it thru the roof!! Shoulda done a factory reset sooner.

If you've checked the option during initial activation to backup settings, then that is what is supposed to happen - not a 2.01 update, was there from the start.

I've had mixed results w/auto app restore after a reset...though I always check the option to enable backup. Haven't seen a clear pattern yet, other than suspicion that it is phone-specific...when I've changed phones (and done a reset on the original phone to clear off any of my stuff) my new phone didn't list anything in Downloads other than purchased apps, and didn't reinstall anything automatically.

BTW - you don't need to remove your SD card...factory reset only affects data on the phone's internal memory, doesn't touch the memory card.

Upvote 0
If you've checked the option during initial activation to backup settings, then that is what is supposed to happen - not a 2.01 update, was there from the start.
<snip>
BTW - you don't need to remove your SD card...factory reset only affects data on the phone's internal memory, doesn't touch the memory card.
I've read that, but I elected to play "paranoid"! Also saw some really tedious instructions to hard reset which involved using the keyboard. I figured the built-in software would likely be more of a friend. Not to mention much easier.

As for the initial backup settings, that's amazing then. I'm no 'puter guru, but logically, I can't see how the "initial" backup thingie would cause apps installed weeks later, such as Twidroid Pro & Handcent, to self-install. Even Asurion's AddressBook self-installed, albeit without its mix-ins, and I only installed that yesterday! ... Plus, it was so intelligently handled-- for instance, none of the home replacement apps were auto-reinstalled, which is good, since they've been known to cause hassles.

Whatever, it was so smooth a transition that I only used My Backup Pro to pull the call logs and SMS stuff. To clarify, not all apps were self-installed, but 16 were (yeah, the nerd in me forced an actual count). Decided to do the remaining/missing apps fresh from the market.

Upvote 0
I've read that, but I elected to play "paranoid"! Also saw some really tedious instructions to hard reset which involved using the keyboard. I figured the built-in software would likely be more of a friend. Not to mention much easier.

Both resets have the same result, IRRC...and yes, doing it from the menu

As for the initial backup settings, that's amazing then. I'm no 'puter guru, but logically, I can't see how the "initial" backup thingie would cause apps installed weeks later, such as Twidroid Pro & Handcent, to self-install. Even Asurion's AddressBook self-installed, albeit without its mix-ins, and I only installed that yesterday! ... Plus, it was so intelligently handled-- for instance, none of the home replacement apps were auto-reinstalled, which is good, since they've been known to cause hassles.

The backup setting is just that, a setting...once you set it, it keeps track of the apps you install. Nothing too complex/mysterious. I don't think there was any "intelligence" regarding installing/not reinstalling apps by type. Like I said, I've seen inconsistent results with it.

Whatever, it was so smooth a transition that I only used My Backup Pro to pull the call logs and SMS stuff. To clarify, not all apps were self-installed, but 16 were (yeah, the nerd in me forced an actual count). Decided to do the remaining/missing apps fresh from the market.

Glad things worked out for you. :)

Upvote 0
You don't "need" to, but why not? Takes an extra 30 seconds. I know I would.

Because you don't need to is the best reason why I don't bother...I've done about six resets, and nothing on the SD card is ever touched.

Also, pulling the SD card requires pulling the battery (twice - once to remove it, second time to put it back in), which means two reboots in addition to the one required by the reset...by that time i'm banging my head against the wall... ;)

But to each his own...

Upvote 0
Because you don't need to is the best reason why I don't bother...I've done about six resets, and nothing on the SD card is ever touched.

Also, pulling the SD card requires pulling the battery (twice - once to remove it, second time to put it back in), which means two reboots in addition to the one required by the reset...by that time i'm banging my head against the wall... ;)

But to each his own...

I agree 100% . I too have done about 6 resets and never taken the card out on my Droid. BlackBerry.... well thats another story, but its never been a problem with my Droid.

Upvote 0
I did a hard reset on my Droid after futzing around with one app too many. Removed the SD card first. Did the reset via the menu: Settings >> Privacy >> Factory Data Reset. The automated reactivation took less than 2-3 minutes, and all the Google stuff flowed back in as expected once I signed in.

The shocker? When I went to the My Downloads area of the Market, I noticed that quite a few of the apps were marked "Installed". Sure enough, when I checked the Droid, they were there in the Apps screen...and functioning! It could not have been My Backup Pro, cause I hadn't reloaded that one at the time.

Could it be that this is one of the quiet thrills of the Droid, or version 2x?? Or maybe, when I reinserted the SD card, some apps were intelligent enough to reload themselves? (I recall when I did a factory reset of the MyTouch months ago, **I** had to reinstall EVERYthing.) Whatever, sure is making my return-to-where-I-was life MUCH easier than anticipated!

Bonus: 3G reception was ok before, now that sucka is kicking it thru the roof!! Shoulda done a factory reset sooner.
All you really did was update the cell site settings. Since new cell sites are activated all the time you should do this about once a month or so. Does not require you to do a "Hard Reset" If you are a verizon customer just dial *228 and select option 2. This will update your phone and keep it operating at its best.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones