• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Greenify system apps

davidsports

Jan 2, 2014
Hello,

I have an HTC EVO Design 4G that is rooted. I have Greenify (Donation Package) and DU Speed Booster installed. DU shows the running system applications. In order to try to save battery, I will try to Greenify some of the system apps. Please, could someone tell me which apps are SAFE to Greenify and won

In general, you should be very careful about freezing/deleting/greenifying/hibernating/killing or otherwise messing with System applications. Many of them (like Sense and a lot of Google services) include a lot of background stuff that makes other things work. Of your list, about the only ones I would consider Greenifying are Smith (which I honestly have no clue what it is) and My Uploads. I could see the others causing problems if you kill them.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
What you will end up with if you "greenify" most of those services is more battery usage, not less. Android will constantly be trying to start/restart them as they are all pretty essential to the operation of your device.

If you freeze then this will happen:

Dialer - can't make calls or answer incoming calls

Google Services Framework - Can't authenticate your device for Google services. No Cloud services will recognize you including the play store, cloud storage, streaming media, gmail, etc.
Google Play Services and Google Play Store - No play store or updates. With this and the services framework, taking them offline and/or clearing the data will confuse Google's servers and if you enable them they will either make you re-download some apps or won't let you update at all forcing a reset to fix.

HTC Sense - this is your launcher. Unless you have an alternate launcher installed, your phone will be unusable.

Wallpaper - I recall there being some system functionality with the wallpaper, but I don't recall what it is. Sorry.
People - These are your contacts. You won't have any.
Google Account Manager - This is how Android differentiates the different types of accounts like POP email or Facebook, Yahoo, MSN etc.

Personalize
vDM Client
Weather Provider

Gmail - Gmail also controls some of the other mail transport functions and you won't be able to send or receive ANY email.

Calendar - No appointments or reminders

Sound set
Smith
My Uploads

Network Location - assists GPS with finding your location. If you have location services enabled, this will slow down locating you tremendously.

While they may show as running apps, are you sure they are actually using your battery?

Upvote 0
People - These are your contacts. You won't have any.

Can anyone explain what the difference is between Contacts and People? I have a tick box for both separately in my Google account in Settings:

googlesettings_zps0358f8d2.png

Upvote 0
My bad ... I didn't look closely at the screen shot. :eek:

I found this ...

People Details is a new sync service related to the recent release of Google Play Games. It was pushed to most (if not all) android devices recently. Its purpose is to tie you together across all Google Play services (the separate services available from the Google Play screen). The idea is to maintain a uniform and unique "identity" for you in all related Google Games so that data from one can potentially be used to "enhance" the user experience in another

From what I have found, it seems to be for gaming only.

Upvote 0
If you freeze then this will happen:

Gmail - Gmail also controls some of the other mail transport functions and you won't be able to send or receive ANY email.
I'll tell you another compelling reason to keep Gmail that I recently discovered. As you may know, recent versions of Google Now incorporate the "Note to self" feature. That is, you speak "note to self," followed by your message, and it sends you an e-mail reminder to Gmail. If you have other apps that can utilize the hook, you be presented with the chooser (i.e., pick which app you want and whether you "always" want it). I discovered that without Gmail this feature flat out does not work

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones