Greetings, Droid-o-philesGeneral

Last Updated:

1. cwk

cwk Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all -- I'm new to smart phones in general, so bear with me.

I have an HTC Eris from Verizon. This thing is really pretty amazing. It can do all sorts of things. The only thing that it doesn't do really well is be a phone. If it were only a phone, I'd be rid of it in a heartbeat. Are there alternative dialers or phone interfaces? I ask because of the problems I'm having with using the phone as a plain old telephone.

I spend a lot of time on conference calls in my work. If I cradle the phone too close to my head, I'm liable to drop the call, or put it on mute. Or, if I need to dial some additional numbers, or turn on the mute and the screen is blank, I have to hit the power key which may, or may not, drop the call.

To dial into the conferences, I dial a second string of numbers after the phone number. With the Droid dialer I can only dial the base number in advance. After that the additional numbers are "live" in the conference. I have no way of "pre-dialing" with a pause. It's possible to do that with the keypad that appears when storing a contact, but that means I'd have to store every conference call as a "contact."

Ideas and suggestions welcome. I'm learning to deal with the new bumps and and looking forward to learning to make my Droid do some great tricks.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Welcome aboard!

Do you have the Motorola Droid? If we know which phone you have, we can better assist you :)

3. cwk

cwk Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ooops. Thought I had mentioned that. I have an HTC Eris from Verizon. Just edited my original post to include it. In any case, thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this group.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Awesome, I'll be moving this to the Eris forum so that they can help you out a bit more than I'll be able to :)

5. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

6. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

+1 on dialer one.

If you like it, there's even a way to make it your default dialer.
    But you'll have to do a lot of reading before you even get to the point of learning to do that

root