Greetings from another Android noob

Last Updated:

1. coscom

coscom Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings everyone,

I am a long time WM user who has spent most of this year researching and arguing with myself over what phone I wanted to upgrade my old Cingular 8525 to in order to have a bigger screen for web browsing, etc. I'd almost gone with several phones (such as the Acer M900 and Nokia N97) however I always seemed to find way too many problems and people saying not to buy them on their forums.

So finally I ended up looking into Android and was interested enough that last night I finally took the plunge and won an Ebay auction for an unlocked Rogers black Magic phone. Unfortunately it is coming from Canada so I probably won't get it until late next week but I honestly can't wait to get it.

I am hoping that it will work perfectly on my work AT&T account. Is there anything I need to do when I get it to set it up? Are there any guides/web pages for setting it up on AT&T or do I just pop the SIM in and follow the on screen directions? Are there any new user guides/web pages on how to set it up with wifi and best practices for configuring it for usefullness, etc? Are there any apps or tweeks that are recommended to install/perform upon setting it up? I'm thinking that I will want to put a couple of games on it as well as the barcode/shopping app as that looked sooo cool when I saw it on a video review. I also read on the Canadian HTC site that this version comes with a version of office and pdf reader, is this true or should I upgrade to different office and reader apps? Also how do I transfer my contacts from my old phone and set it up to sync my phone contacts with with my outlook on my laptop (running Vista)?

I'm sorry to be bombarding you with all of these questions but now that I've finally ordered it I figure I should find out all I can before it arrives. Thanks in advance for any information and advice and best wishes everyone.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Sorry!!! Belated Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Guess you must have your answers by now ???

3. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

A very belated welcome! :D