Greetings from your newest member

Last Updated:

1. Caleb83

Caleb83 New Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 8, 2010
    Greetings all, my name is Caleb and I'm a new Droid owner.

I had a voyager before this phone and was glad to get rid of it. My contract expired back in November, and I was so anxious to get a Droid. I joined the army the week after it came out, and was given a Jan 4th basic training date. I had to spend the rest of November and all of December with this crappy voyager, and it drove me crazy!

The entire time in basic training, I just kept wishing and waiting to graduate so I could finally get my paws on my very own. I was doing so well until week 7, I somehow managed to get stress fractures in my pelvis. Determined to get my Droid, and not to show weakness in front of the other Privates, I pushed myself through the final PT test, the 15k ruck march, and the final FTX before finally seeking medical attention.

To make a long story short (too late, I know), I wasn't going to be able to ship to AIT. I was devastated, and the idea of staying in what the Drill Sergeants call "BCT Land" without phone privileges even longer than necessary was crushing. Come graduation, I meet my parents, and they have already purchased my Droid! For one short afternoon with my parents, I was so excited, but I knew as soon as I returned the Drill SGTs would take it back from me.

They must have taken pity on me, as not only did I get to keep it, but I was ultimately granted 30 days of convalescent leave to heal at home. I've been lurking on this site the past couple of weeks and finally decided to register (mostly so I could get rid of this annoying banner I have to scroll past telling me to register... now I'm writing this to make this other annoying banner go away!).

I've read a lot about rooting and when I go back, I plan on having rooted my phone. This wifi tether sounds like the best thing ever, especially since I was planning on taking my ipod touch back with me, and would like to use the internet for that for their apps. As much as I love the Droid, I just can't cut the ipod out. The market, I understand has improved vastly since Google launched Android, but it still needs a lot of work... But that's rant for another thread. I've already downgraded my FW from 2.1 back to 2.0.1, and I'm scouring the forums for how to root.

Everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable and helpful. I'm particularily impressed with the Zero Tolerance thread. I'm not sure how well it gets enforced, but it sure sounds like the admins want to make this place as hospitable as possible for newcomers. When I read that post, I was half tempted to join right then and there just to say "Right on!"

Hmm, I wasn't anticipating to write so much, but it's too late now. I've already put in the effort, no reason to delete it all. And if you read it all, I just want to say thanks. I'm still learning things about my phone, and once I've rooted, I'll have a lot more to learn. Maybe one day I could be as knowledgeable as the rest of you. Cheers!

bigdroid likes this.
  2. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Welcome to the forums! =) Always glad to have a fellow Android user among us! ;)
  3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:
  4. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009