• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Greetings

Lestat127

Lurker
Nov 9, 2012
Hi,

I kind of decided that I want to get the most out of my phone. The problem is, I'm technically inept and was wondering if anyone can help me...

I currently have the Galaxy S2 from Sprint. Since upgrading to this phone back in April, I have had nothing but problems (dropped calls, bad connections, etc.)! At first, I was told this was due to Sprint updating all of their towers. Then they said it could be my phone as well so they gave me a refurbished phone. That immediately didn't work well, so they gave me another refurbished phone. Now the phone seems fine, but the service is still bad, so I decided to switch to T-Mobile for a better pricing plan and (hopefully) better service.

Before I do so, I wanted to root the phone. I looked up how to do this and noticed that my Kernal # is different than in the instructions (this was a video on Youtube). I also noticed that it says, "SMP PREEMPT". I'm not sure what this means, but don't want to do anything until I'm sure I won't screw anything up.

I'm basically wondering if rooting my phone is a good idea for someone like myself who knows virtually nothing about it (but willing to learn). If so, where can I learn more about it? Can anyone here direct me to where I can get help? I'd greatly appreciate it! As I learn more, hopefully I can contribute to the forums. Thanks.

Welcome Lestat127!! :)
If you decide to root, I recommend reading here:
Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) - All Things Root - Android Forums

If you are not clear on something, then please ask :)
Yes rooting can be fun but must me done properly. Not trying to scare you, but just read as much as you can and like I said, ask before doing anything. :)
I knew nothing when I started and if someone like me can do it, trust me, you can too! I rooted my Evo back in January and will never look back. :D
No worries, people are helpful here!

Upvote 0
I knew nothing when I started and if someone like me can do it, trust me, you can too! I rooted my Evo back in January and will never look back. :DNo worries, people are helpful here!

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, the more I read about this, the more it seems I'm not up to the task. It's literally like trying to understand a book written in a foreign language. I know nothing about flash, ODIN, Icecream, etc. or what they are, or what they do.

I'm not even sure what rooting my phone would do for me. I just know I need to unlock it to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile. I'd also like it to run fast without bogging down. That's all I'm really looking for. But thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones