Greyed out Message Center - Vibrant -HelpSupport

Last Updated:

1. clearprop

clearprop Member This Topic's Starter

I can receive, but not send sms. After an hour on the phone with att tech support, she [thinks that she] figured out the problem.

I need to set in a "message center" number (it currently says "not set".) The problem is that for some reason it is greyed out on my phone. She didn't know how to get past that.

Samsung was of no help either.

I am using a vibrant on 2.1 unlocked (tmobile phone on att.)

Messaging -> settings -> message center

I have tried a hard/factory reset. I am able/willing to root it if that will gain me access to it.

I bet someone on here knows how to ungray, or at least why it's grey. Thanks.

-----
    edited title

Advertisement
  2. Talennja

Talennja Member

On my phone it is also grayed out but there is indeed a number there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. clearprop

I spent a couple more hours on the phone today. Called samsung again. They had me do a hard reset without the sim card. That didn't work. They told me to contact tmobile, since it is their software. Tmobile couldn't do anything, but told me to have att do an over the air update to the message center number. Att tried to do that but said they couldn't because it isn't an att phone with their software on it.

There must be a way to do this on a root level. I'm just not sure where to look, or what to change. Some one must know.

4. Hood281

Hood281 New Member

Ok I figured this one out...

You do have to be rooted for this to work, and you also have to have an XML editor (I DO NOT recommed Notepad as it may alter formatting in a way that breaks the file alltogether. Tested and verified using Visual Studio as the editor)

Using Root Explorer or whatever is your preferred way to browse the phone, browse to the file:
    /dbdata/databases/com.android.mms/shared_prefs/com.android.mms_preferences.xml

Then copy it to /sdcard so you can see it from your PC to edit

Find the key named "pref_key_manage_smsc_address" (at the bottom)
    Change it from Not Set to 12063130004 (That's for T-mobile, or whatever is correct for your provider)

Then copy it back!!

I strongly recommend keeping a "known working" copy of the file in case your editor messes up the formatting.

I did not have to reboot or anything after this process, the number showed up in the (still greyed out) Message Center but text sending is working again for me!!!!

5. clearprop

Wow. That does sound like a solution! I am out of town for the weekend, I will report back once I get home and try this. Thanks for posting!

6. clearprop

Wow thanks for the fix. It worked! I was able to do it all on my phone using:

'Root Explorer' to find the file

'SilverEdit' to enter the message center number ( att +13123149810 )

7. clearprop

Dang! I put it into flight mode, and when it came out, it reverted back to"not set."

I did find a perminent fix though. I walked into the nearest att store and asked for a new sim card. It turns out to be a sim card problem.

That fix does work though as a temporary problem solver.

8. faraband

faraband New Member

Having the same problem. Every time i reboot the phone or if i loose signal completely, it reverts back to "not set".
    As of now i made a copy of the file with the correct sms # set, and just copy it back into the folder every time. But its a little bit tedious... any way to keep it from reverting back and stay with the AT&T smsc number?
    Thanks