Griffin car dock died...here comes McGyver!General

Last Updated: 2014-05-28 17:33:35
  1. mcoomer

mcoomer Well-Known Member

My Griffin dock has failed so that it won't charge my phone and I refuse to buy another one or fix this cheap piece of crap. I saw this thread where a person used an Otterbox Commuter case and a Razr Maxx car dock to McGyver a dock solution. As it happens, I moved to the Maxx from a Razr Maxx and still have my car dock. I took it apart yesterday and it looks like it would be a pretty simple task to put one together but I have a question about the phone fitting the Otterbox.

It looks like that person had to put their phone in a thin case so it would fit tightly enough in the Otterbox to hold the phone while they were using it as a car dock. I need a solution that doesn't require a sleeve. Do you think the Commuter case will hold this phone tightly enough that it won't slip out? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Mike

Advertisement
  2. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Well-Known Member

Yeah, Griffin car dock for Droid Ultra/Maxx...an all-time top five Verizon scam. Product FAIL!
  3. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Well-Known Member

Best thing I ever did with my griffin dock...
    Called Moto and complained loud enough about how horrible it was and for long enough that they eventually agreed to replace it with something else. I'm happy now with my handsfree BT car speaker.
  4. jfriend33

jfriend33 Well-Known Member

We were definitely spoiled back in the day before Motorola got lazy and came up with the whole m4de bs. Perfect fitting docks, accessories, lapdocks... Oy those were the days.
  5. R1OT

R1OT Well-Known Member

the only good thing about that horrible dock, is they will replace it every time you ask. Up to a year later after purchase. Found out my usb plug was a bit to big and was breaking the port going into the dock itself. Found a smaller mini usb plug and seems to be holding up so far.