• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Group Messaging with an odd twist.

I've done a lot of research on my problem and I know there are tons of "Onoes my group messaging doesn't work like an iPhone" messages out there. I think this is a tad different....

Synopsis:
I'll start with the short story then go into details. When receiving group messaging I NEVER get the first message, whether it is from an Android or iPhone. I ALWAYS get ALL replies. I can reply and everyone gets my replies. I always get all future replies, even from the original sender.

Now on with the details:
I've had my phone about a year now. I used the standard "Messaging" app for a few days but then used Hangouts for 8 months or so. The problem started happening with hangouts. So I switched back to Messaging and the problem remains.

I realize the answer might be to use yet another SMS app (which I am fine with trying) but it really seems that my problem is not app related. Both Hangouts and Messaging were/are set to handle group messaging as MMS.

This problem happens:
  • From anyone as long as it is a group message
  • From any type of phone (well android and iphone)
  • with or without multimedia attached.
  • while I am on wifi or 4g
I am using a Moto G 2014 v4.4.4 not rooted. Carrier is AT&T.

Thoughts?

- Kevin

Well that is odd.

Have you tried clearing cache in both the stock app and HO's? Not data as that may delete the messages (if you care) but cache? I was having an issue with not getting all my notifications (I use HO's too) and just doing that seemed to have fixed it.

Settings/apps/messaging/clear cache
Settings/apps/Hangouts/clear cache

Worth a shot (in the dark) anyway.

Upvote 0
Well that is odd.

Have you tried clearing cache in both the stock app and HO's? Not data as that may delete the messages (if you care) but cache? I was having an issue with not getting all my notifications (I use HO's too) and just doing that seemed to have fixed it.

Settings/apps/messaging/clear cache
Settings/apps/Hangouts/clear cache

Worth a shot (in the dark) anyway.

Hmm, Actually I haven't. I just did now and will test as soon as I can. Thanks for the tip!

- Kevin

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones