• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Group MMS

I just learned of this feature today.
I have a Galaxy Nexus, and before that a Droid 1.

I've used the mass SMS feature of Android 2.2.x and 4.0.2 many times. All it does is send one SMS to multiple receipents individually. It does NOT automatically convert it to an MMS.

The Group feature is novel, but with so many solutions for this already (email, plethora of IM clients, Google+, etc) it seems a waste of effort to support such a niche feature. When multiple people respond in parallel to an email, the previous is typically quoted, aiding in deciphering out-of-order responses.

Also, this will very quickly make your monthly text message count get out of control, forcing you to upgrade your text plan. Long story short, this feature costs you money when free choices are already available.

Since so many people do not have iPhones (with this enabled) or even Smartphones, the actual number of people that support this is currently quite low, and thus not a feature you should depend upon.

They should first work on getting MMS support in Google Voice.

Upvote 0
Yeah I still think it's something android should support , I know a lot of people with iphones and when I had my Rezound and could do this with VZW Messager it was really nice but it's starting to not be a big deal anymore as I'm slowly converting this people to Android anyways

I uploaded the apk here if you still want to give it a shot, fyi you will most likely need to be rooted as you have to push the apk to the /system

[Q] Android Group MMS SMS Chat like iPhone iOS4 - Page 11 - xda-developers

I really like that with this app I can finally be cool and be able to group text my iPhone friends. One thing I really hate about this app is that it completely takes over my Text Messaging notifications, even if I disable them from within the app :/

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones