• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Group Text LIMIT 10

Is the ability to participate in large group (11 persons or more) texts important to you?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bnjmnalan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2015
My wife and I have been using Straight Talk on the AT&T network for over 3 years now. I have been using my current Note 3 for about 10 months.
About a month ago I suddenly lost the ability to send group text messages to more than 10 people at one time. Prior to that I would send messages to groups ranging from 12-30 people on at least a weekly basis. Then suddenly group messages would "Fail to send". It took me a couple weeks to figure out that it was just groups of exactly 11 or more that if failed to send.
These are group texts that are sent as MMS messages so everyone can reply and see each others replies. This is not mass texting where one message is sent separately to many different recipients. I can still do that. What I can't do is send or participate in group texts that have more than 10 people involved.

I have tried 4 different texting apps and the only difference is the error message. Some only say failed, another said there were too many recipients and another said too many recipients - carrier limitation. My phone has always been rooted and I have used Wanam Xposed to remove the android limitation of 10 recipient max on text messages, but this no longer helps because the limitation isn't in the phone or the app, its with the carrier.

I have contacted Straight Talk twice using Chat support. The support person stated that she was not aware of any text limitations imposed by Straight Talk. The next one just had me restart my phone and suggested using a different phone.

In my research I have found that AT&T has this exact same restriction, namely MMS messages can only be sent to 10 people at a time and has had this for a long time. I don't know why it suddenly applies to Straight Talk after several years of unrestricted MMS usage. Does it have anything to do with the new 5GB high speed data limit?
I started a thread on the Straight Talk forums hoping for some support from them. https://www.straighttalkwirelessforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6803&t=1271334

Any solution or explanation to this would be great!!

Why is nobody suggesting a solution to this? I just switched from a Galaxy S5a to a Galaxy S7. I lost the ability to send texts to more than 10 recipients at a time. It likely isn't AT&T because I was doing it daily to the members of my poker league. The other culprits are the S7 hardware or Android 6 enforcing the limit. I tried at least six different SMS apps and the results is always the same .... failure to send to more than 10 recipients.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones