Group text messaging problems?General

1. egernant

egernant Well-Known Member

One of my friends sent out a group text message to me and a few other guys the other day, but instead of showing up as one text message thread with multiple people, I received each response independently with a (no subject) title. When I responded to any of the messages, it only went to that individual, not the group. I figured this was some iMessage voodoo at first, but then had another friend who owns an Atrix 2 send a similar group text with the same outcome.

I am on a rooted LTE Gnex using stock messaging app. Why won't my group text messages register / send properly?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

I believe that is how android, and most non-iPhones handle SMS with multiple recipients. If I send a text to 5 people. They cannot "reply all" their replies come only to me. As far as I know, it has always been this way. I think the iPhone's iMessaging has made people forget that. Quite frankly, I prefer it this way as 99% of the time I don't want everyone getting every reply. The times I do want group texting I use groupme. It'd be nice if there was an option to allow "reply all" in the stock messaging app but I think its more a feature/limitation of the SMS system.
    egernant likes this.
  3. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

Tim is correct - your friend probably has an iPhone which uses a proprietary protocol to turn group SMS messages into MMS messages. That is how everyone is able to reply-all to that thread and keep the group chat going.

GoSMS and Handcent both now support this option and work pretty well. I am able to group chat with my friends with iPhones when they decide to have a group chat.

Hope that helps!
  4. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

Next time your friend does that send your response as a G+ hangout or a Gtalk invite to everyone.

We can be elitist snobs too.
    Crashumbc likes this.
  5. egernant

Yea I do use groupme with two different groups of friends and that works incredibly well, but the are times when its a smaller group of like 2-3 people trying to make plans for the weekend that its frustrating. I guess I may have to switch away from stock, which I hate to do.

I do like that last idea, though these are the kind of people you can't argue with. The iPhone is simply the most incredible invention ever.

Thanks for the clarification guys.
  6. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

And it was invented by the most genius inventor who ever lived.... single-handedly.
  7. wildhawk

wildhawk New Member

My company just released POWOW Messenger for Android, which allows you to manage one-to-one and group messaging from a single app, anyone with a text capable phone can participate in group conversations without having to have the app, and the group conversation is contained in a single thread. You may want to check it out in Google Play.
  8. egernant

I might have to check that out, thanks for posting. And welcome to the forums.
  9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Welcome to the AndroidForums, wildhawk.

You're also welcome to post a thread in the Application Announcements - Android Forums, so folks can view more details (screen shots, tips, etc.) about your new app.

Cheers and glad you signed-up with us here at AF :).