1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Group Texting App / Text Forwarding App

Last Updated:

1. wormywyrm

wormywyrm Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys! I have a group of 5 friends whom are trying to stay in contact with each other. Heres the situation:

Me
    Android
    Free Texting to Verizon
    Carrier: Verizon

Dara
    Android
    Unlimited Texting

Spader
    Crappy Phone
    Unlimited Texting
    Carrier: Sprint

Siam
    Crappy Phone
    Unlimited Texting
    Carrier: Unknown

Empty
    Crappy Phone
    Free Texting to Verizon

Now theres some interesting groupchat apps out there. I was looking into using BrightKite... My classmates use it during boring lectures in gradschool.

But the problem with BrightKite is that Empty (that is his nickname) does not have free texting to any carrier but verizon, and BrightKite's groupchat # is not verizon. I am in a similar situation, but since I have an android phone I can access the groupchat via that and I don't need to use up my texts.

So I am looking for an app/free system that would let us text all of each other in one centralized thread. I was thinknig that there might be a program to forward text messages through my phone into Empty's phone.

So whenever I get a text from the BrightKite system it takes that text and forwards it to Empty's phone.

Then whenever empty responds to that text from me it takes the text he sent me and forwards it to the brightkite phone # (which in turn forwards it to everyone else in our group) with a small modification... It could put his name before the text, ie "hello world" turns to "Empty says hello world".

So if there is a text forwarder program like that then that would be awesome. But also another program that somehow utilizes itself so Empty can connect without costing him big bucks for text messaging would be great too.

In fact it would definietly be preferred because I do not have unlimited texting and a text forwarding system wouldnt work for that reason- I would have to access the chatroom via brightkite application because accessing it via text message uses up my texts. So unless we set up the forwarding on Daras phone it wouldnt work still- We would have to set up the forwarding on Daras phone, but I think she will have a hard time getting it set up because shes not as saavy on tech stuff.

Advertisement
  2. wormywyrm

wormywyrm Member This Topic's Starter

Actually thinking about my plan above with the forwarding, it still wouldnt work, because the forwarder and the forwardee would not get each others texts.