Group textsGeneral

1. APBTx2

APBTx2 Active Member

Coming from iPhone and I really like its group texts, but when a friend showed me his Nexus' latest update included group texts, I was ready to move back.
    I bought the Nexus 4 from google and have tmobile prepaid for now, until I comfortable enough with the phone's capabilities, them I'll port my number over.

The phone doesn't group a discussion- I can send out the same text to more than one phone, but it doesn't group them so I can see a discussion between 3 or more phones.

Running 4.2.2

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
    :
  2. runtmms

runtmms Well-Known Member

I haven't tested it, but Handcent has an option to thread group messages. It might do what you're looking for.
  3. APBTx2

APBTx2 Active Member

I would have thought if the older Nexus had this function with the last update, than my newer 4 would too.
    I guess I shouldn't assume.
    Kind of frustrating though.
  4. OhSeven

OhSeven Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm not too familiar with the group texting, but I did receive texts within a group started by an iPhone and I sent a number of texts within the group. One person said his phone couldn't receive those texts, and that was the first time I ever heard of the issue at all. I used the standard Messaging app for that.
  5. nixie21

nixie21 Well-Known Member

I have found that gosms works best for this.
  6. jackgibbs

jackgibbs Well-Known Member

I think you have to check the box that says 'send group texts as mms' in settings, then they will send like imessages

or even better get your friends to use google talk and/or hangouts and stop cluttering up your text app with a bunch of data heavy mms'
  7. APBTx2

APBTx2 Active Member

I didn't want to screw around with the month-month plans with lack of service, so I picked up another 4 from Tmobile and the group text function weeks fine. The 'group text' was checked off on the google 4, thanks for the help though!
  8. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

@ the OP

Sadly the nexus doesn't do group messages even close to as good as an iphone does.
    It's something that I really hope makes it into the next build of android (key lime pie)
  9. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Group messages work fine on my Nexus 4 with my iPhone using friends. What does iPhone do better here Sean?
  10. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

It's more of an Android thing then a nexus thing. Firstly and most annoyingly is the fact that with the new builds of android you have a limit of text messages you can send out within a certain amount of time...Which is one of the most annoying things about android at the moment. So in essence this may not bother someone who's sending out say a message to maybe only 2 or 3 people. But for say someone like me who has a pretty large staff this creates a problem when sending a group sms.

Now an argument can be made and people can say just send an email, etc. Why should I? I've been using group sms's for a fairly long time with my iphone and have never had an issue.

Also, with IOS it groups the whole message together in one bundle and doesn't break it apart into a few messages.

Hopefully in key lime pie this gets fixed.
  11. yncs22

yncs22 New Member

You are correct! I have Handcent installed on my Nexus 4 and group texts work.