GRR need help

Last Updated:

1. luke2104

luke2104 Member This Topic's Starter

ok so Im at a complete loss here.

ill admit Im an idiot first off jumping into rooting my desire without really knowing what the hell i was doing. I managed to root the phone with unrevoked and using clockwork mod recovery i wasnt able to install any roms (it was flash a few words on screen after i picked the .zip file, but then go back to the start of clockwork doing nothing apparently). although i was still able to boot the rom that was already on the phone...

I then discovered Rom Manager on the market and used that so succesfully install the piraterum rom and some other rom afterwards... after getting bored of the latest rom i went to flash another one, but this time it didnt work... and i was stuck in recovery, and as luck would have it my SD card was corrupted, therefore making any backup i had of my roms disapear...

so here i am not being able to boot into a rom (i press the power button and it goes straight to the FASTBOOT menu).
    I still have access to clockwork mod, but any rom i try to flash (even the stock rom for my phone which is Telstra) does the same as they used to before finding rom manager...

i have been looking all over the internet for a few days now for a solution, with most guides needing me to actually boot into a rom to do anything.

Any ideas and help would be massively appreciated

i got HBOOT version - 0.75.000
    and RADIO - 4.05.00.11
    if that info helps at all?

Thanks in advance ;)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It would be really helpful if we knew what clockwork error message was.

If thats is not fixable, the next best bet is to download a generic 2.1 RUU, which you run from your PC when your phone is at Fastboot. It returns to stock (losing all data btw) then reroot from scratch with unrevoked 3.14

Did you use unrevoked 3.21 initially?

3. luke2104

Yep i used 3.21... and about the error message, there is none... well not that i can see anyway. it runs the process, and says installing with a little progress bar down the bottom, then after about 2 seconds it just stops what its doing an puts me back at the first menu of clockwork.
    ok, so i download the stock RUU and run it? i think i have tried something like that before, am i meant to use any program to run the RUU because it was telling me its not a valid win32 program?

thanks for the reply

4. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

All Desire ROMs are here, find the one that came with your Desire (or the nearest one you can find - really should've made a note of what the phone came with in case something like this happened) and just run it in Windows. If it doesn't run the file is corrupt...

Shipped ROMs

5. luke2104

ok cheers...will give it a go

6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

before you try and flash an RUU
    was you phone originally branded or unbranded?

7. luke2104

it was branded... but not locked to a network... I have tried a few time to flash it with the telstra (as it was Telstra branded) RUU and another generic one but both came back with the error ERROR [130]: MODEL ID ERROR ?

is there any way i can identify exactly what ROM i need?

haha not having much luck hey :S

8. Rastaman-FB

did you make a gold card prior to all your messing?

9. luke2104

no unfortunately :S is it too late now? ive tried with the card i have...but cant get the CID (using goldcard tool)... i have an 8gb card that came with a phone i had before this one... will i have to buy another one? or is it too late now?

haha sorry for all the questions... but ive read alot of stuff on the net which when u read the amount i have info starts to contradict other bits and its hard to tell whats the right way to do stuff :S

10. Rastaman-FB

ok heres the thing, gold card tool needs to be run when you are booted to create the image for the sdcard that is inserted. it should be done before you do anything else if you are on branded firmware and usually a second gold card made if the original failes (the process repeated again as each msd card has a different cid)

the reason im asking you this is because you could use it to run a later Unbranded RUU but if you dont have one it will give you a CID error.

if you can still get into recovery then you can try booting into it and doing a wipedata/factory reset then applying a custom rom again and see if that fixes it.

Also there is a section in advanced for clearing dalvic. try running that too
    the other alternative is to try and use the zip method and boot into bootloader to appy it. im not quite sure if that will work though

11. luke2104

Ahh ok... well im a dumb ass for not doing that :S ...
    k well ill keep trying all that stuff...i have wiped the memory and dalvic a few times before trying to install... by rights i should be able to do any rom cos i can get into the clockwork recovery? eh anyway...

would it be at all possible for me to get a backup someones made with clockwork and put it in my backup folder and restore it? haha probably a longshot?

thanks for your help hey...much appreciated

12. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

I'd say it's better to put any custom ROM on to at least get the gold card done. If the Desire was a Telstra-branded one out the box the branded RUU should flash with no issues...

13. luke2104

yer i keep trying to download the telstra branded RUU but it wouldnt even start up...its not till about 10 mins ago i realised the actual download was corrupting for some reason...ive just found a downlaod of it that is working...its at 57% so ill see how that goes

14. luke2104

ok tried to update but got a different error this time... 140 something about the bootloader version...im no expert but im guessing its because im trying to "downgrade" the phone...as it says the version currently installed is 1.16 or something..and im trying to update to 1.15...which makes sense that it wouldnt work
    ive looked over the net a bit and cant seem to find the telstra 2.1 update anywhere? and i kno there is one because the original version i had was 2.1...
    ill keep searching...but if u could would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

15. luke2104

1.16* sorry

16. luke2104

SUCCESS!! we have boot....thank you all sooo much...got out of a verry bad situation :D

17. Rastaman-FB

can you let us know how you did it so we can help other people

also go now and make a gold card please

18. luke2104

yep sure. i just had to use the right RUU... i had to find a telstra one that was the same or higher than the version already installec (which was 1.16)
    for some reason this version is not on the shipped roms website, only the 1.15 was...so whenever i tried that the install failed.
    after some searching i found a Telstra RUU that had the same version as my phone and it worked no problems... thanks for all the help guys

and yes... ive gone out and bought a cheap memory card and am making a goldcard as i type this

19. Rastaman-FB

you might want to link shipped roms to the updated telstra RUU so that others are able to find it more easily

well done in getting it back, as long as you have a gold card you should be pretty safe to mess about

20. SUroot

Just make your regular card into a gold card

21. Rastaman-FB

this

i did this and made a spare also

22. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

If he is using unrevoked why bother having a goldcard?

23. SUroot

because with some failures you may have to try many methods to recover it, or may even to decide to go stock unbranded. Better to have one than not to.

24. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Okay, I did make one that I 'think' works but I just wanted to know if it was nessacary really.

25. Rastaman-FB

fome fixes for booting issues like this require a downgrade of firmware but you need a gold card to do it.
    gold cards do not take up any usable storage on a microsd and can be used even after formatting so there is no excuse