• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GRR need help

luke2104

Oct 4, 2010
ok so Im at a complete loss here.

ill admit Im an idiot first off jumping into rooting my desire without really knowing what the hell i was doing. I managed to root the phone with unrevoked and using clockwork mod recovery i wasnt able to install any roms (it was flash a few words on screen after i picked the .zip file, but then go back to the start of clockwork doing nothing apparently). although i was still able to boot the rom that was already on the phone...

I then discovered Rom Manager on the market and used that so succesfully install the piraterum rom and some other rom afterwards... after getting bored of the latest rom i went to flash another one, but this time it didnt work... and i was stuck in recovery, and as luck would have it my SD card was corrupted, therefore making any backup i had of my roms disapear...

so here i am not being able to boot into a rom (i press the power button and it goes straight to the FASTBOOT menu).
I still have access to clockwork mod, but any rom i try to flash (even the stock rom for my phone which is Telstra) does the same as they used to before finding rom manager...

i have been looking all over the internet for a few days now for a solution, with most guides needing me to actually boot into a rom to do anything.

Any ideas and help would be massively appreciated

i got HBOOT version - 0.75.000
and RADIO - 4.05.00.11
if that info helps at all?

Thanks in advance ;)

Yep i used 3.21... and about the error message, there is none... well not that i can see anyway. it runs the process, and says installing with a little progress bar down the bottom, then after about 2 seconds it just stops what its doing an puts me back at the first menu of clockwork.
ok, so i download the stock RUU and run it? i think i have tried something like that before, am i meant to use any program to run the RUU because it was telling me its not a valid win32 program?

thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
it was branded... but not locked to a network... I have tried a few time to flash it with the telstra (as it was Telstra branded) RUU and another generic one but both came back with the error ERROR [130]: MODEL ID ERROR ?

is there any way i can identify exactly what ROM i need?

haha not having much luck hey :S

Upvote 0
no unfortunately :S is it too late now? ive tried with the card i have...but cant get the CID (using goldcard tool)... i have an 8gb card that came with a phone i had before this one... will i have to buy another one? or is it too late now?

haha sorry for all the questions... but ive read alot of stuff on the net which when u read the amount i have info starts to contradict other bits and its hard to tell whats the right way to do stuff :S

Upvote 0
ok heres the thing, gold card tool needs to be run when you are booted to create the image for the sdcard that is inserted. it should be done before you do anything else if you are on branded firmware and usually a second gold card made if the original failes (the process repeated again as each msd card has a different cid)

the reason im asking you this is because you could use it to run a later Unbranded RUU but if you dont have one it will give you a CID error.

if you can still get into recovery then you can try booting into it and doing a wipedata/factory reset then applying a custom rom again and see if that fixes it.

Also there is a section in advanced for clearing dalvic. try running that too
the other alternative is to try and use the zip method and boot into bootloader to appy it. im not quite sure if that will work though

Upvote 0
Ahh ok... well im a dumb ass for not doing that :S ...
k well ill keep trying all that stuff...i have wiped the memory and dalvic a few times before trying to install... by rights i should be able to do any rom cos i can get into the clockwork recovery? eh anyway...

would it be at all possible for me to get a backup someones made with clockwork and put it in my backup folder and restore it? haha probably a longshot?

thanks for your help hey...much appreciated

Upvote 0
ok tried to update but got a different error this time... 140 something about the bootloader version...im no expert but im guessing its because im trying to "downgrade" the phone...as it says the version currently installed is 1.16 or something..and im trying to update to 1.15...which makes sense that it wouldnt work
ive looked over the net a bit and cant seem to find the telstra 2.1 update anywhere? and i kno there is one because the original version i had was 2.1...
ill keep searching...but if u could would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0
yep sure. i just had to use the right RUU... i had to find a telstra one that was the same or higher than the version already installec (which was 1.16)
for some reason this version is not on the shipped roms website, only the 1.15 was...so whenever i tried that the install failed.
after some searching i found a Telstra RUU that had the same version as my phone and it worked no problems... thanks for all the help guys

and yes... ive gone out and bought a cheap memory card and am making a goldcard as i type this

Upvote 0
yep sure. i just had to use the right RUU... i had to find a telstra one that was the same or higher than the version already installec (which was 1.16)
for some reason this version is not on the shipped roms website, only the 1.15 was...so whenever i tried that the install failed.
after some searching i found a Telstra RUU that had the same version as my phone and it worked no problems... thanks for all the help guys

and yes... ive gone out and bought a cheap memory card and am making a goldcard as i type this
you might want to link shipped roms to the updated telstra RUU so that others are able to find it more easily

well done in getting it back, as long as you have a gold card you should be pretty safe to mess about

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones