GS2 end of lifeGeneral

1. bdjaddy

bdjaddy Active Member

I've heard and read of the End of Life for the GS2. Is this true and when might it happen. I don't want to spend $299, on sale, for a phone that won't have the proper signal, WiMAX, available. Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

It's just the same boat that the Evo V is in, the manufacturers will stop producing these devices as they sell fewer and fewer of them and re purpose the production lines for new products. Don't worry about Wimax's going anywhere, Sprints contract with Clear runs until at least 2015 and the single biggest reason for Softbanks interest in Sprint is Clears spectrum which they would like to own outright.
    bdjaddy likes this.
  3. bdjaddy

bdjaddy Active Member

So if I purchase the GS2, I should be good for awhile, right? I live my Evo, but like to get the S2. I thank you very much.
  4. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Actually the S2 for $300 compared to Wirefly selling the Evo V today for $148.88 with free FedEx delivery. That's crazy cheap.
  5. systemofadown

systemofadown Well-Known Member

I think you should be fine too. I purchased my Boost s2 for $394 & some odd cents a couple months ago in the shop (that was with tax), $300 online is awesome enough..... plus you have another color option also. as you can tell Im a bit jealous :D just my thoughts.
  6. DaddyZap

DaddyZap Well-Known Member

Well if you wait long enough everything becomes discontinued and the price of it always goes down. Lets face it the S2 is at its end of its life cycle thats why Boost has it. I mean even Metro PCS has the S3. I dont know about you most have phones for a couple of years. I wont worry about not buying cause something else is right around the corner. If you want it buy now and enjoy it. The phone is very nice you wont regret it. There is always something bigger and better on the horizon, they want us to keep buying they got to keep us interested with shiny new things.
  7. systemofadown

True, tech is usually a flash in the pan these days as we all know.. in a few more months they wont be able to give em away (not literally, but close enough), as they are old tech in most savvy consumers eyes... Enjoy it now, as stated above.. I wouldn't go back & change my decision if I could, the S2 gets the job done for me.
  8. kevindroid

kevindroid Well-Known Member

the s2 is really a great phone. ive not regretted this decision. the downer for me is i feel like im going to break it
  9. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest

Lol me too. Awesome phone. I absolutely positively love mine. I have insurance tho for a reason, but I still don't wanna mess this one up and get some remanufactured one for a replacement.
  10. AprilThe20th

AprilThe20th Well-Known Member

The S2 is not at the end of its life....do people even read any more? Samsung said it will continue to update the galaxy line.Soon the updates coming are a lot of the things the S3 can do will be put onto the S2,what the Note2 can do the S3 will be able to do.Do your research....the galaxy line is still going strong!Sadly neither the S2 or the S3 will be able to s-pen unless.......
  11. systemofadown

We have to keep in mind that the S2 is no spring chicken in the Galaxy line... I'm excited that Samsung is working on an update, but this will probably be the last for the S2 as resources are slowly moved to newer & better hardware such as the SIII, Note II & future devices. I hope I'm wrong, but its SOP these days in big business. The S2 will be useful for a couple more years I'm sure (if not more) but Boost will have a better selection by then (again I hope this one is correct ;) ).. The S2 can be called boosts current flagship, I can't wait to see what will be available in 6 months to a year from now..
  12. Kroegs

Kroegs Well-Known Member

Our s2's are good solid devices and yes their market ability may be waning but nobody is going to be missing out on much for a little while. On that note, I thought this article was a little amusing:

Samsung May Release Galaxy S2 Plus in 2013

What is their marketing strategy on this? They do have an s3 mini, I really don't get this.